Thread: Can someone please explain me the directory structure and user hierarchy

Beans

Can someone please explain me the directory structure and user hierarchy

I got Ubuntu 12.04 installed from 10.04 and things are going well. I figured out how to share files with my Windows terminal, how to install software etc.

I'm just curious about the user hierarchy....I understand root is the highest.

When I installed 12.04, I chose bob as my username. bob is an Administrator, is admin under root privilege wise?
    Last edited by enduser79; July 5th, 2013 at 12:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can someone please explain me the directory structure and user hierarchy

Something like this view:
    http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/...tem-structure/

Also here is some more views. Just click on anyone and it will take you to the web page for further explanation:

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Bob might be listed as Administrator but he is using the OS as a standard user until he needs to authenticate an administrative task. Then he puts in his password and for the duration of the task Bob has become the administrator. when the task ends Bob reverts back automatically to being a standard user. What is wise is Ubuntu use of sudo and not root.

This explains it

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530