Thread: Disappearing wallpaper and GNOME Shell not working

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Disappearing wallpaper and GNOME Shell not working

Today I installed Ubuntu 13.04 on a Lenovo ThinkPad X220. It worked fine at first, but after the first round of updates and rebooting it GNOME Shell seems to have been broken. At first I was able to get into GNOME Shell but my wallpaper was gone. I restarted my computer again and this time I could not get into GNOME Shell at all, it just hangs at the login screen. I'm able to get into Unity and it too doesn't display my wallpaper, and sometimes a static image of the login screen will get "stuck" and become the wallpaper. I think my hard drive may be going bad and that may have something to do with it. The whole computer feels kinda sluggish and the hard drive is quite noisy.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Disappearing wallpaper and GNOME Shell not working

This doesn't help, but I recently installed Ubuntu Gnome 13.04 and noticed a similar problem. Gnome Shell randomly decided it couldn't use certain wallpapers? -- even those with which it shipped. There's a nasty bug somewhere. Unfortunately, I decided I still didn't like Gnome Shell and that it wasn't worth my time to sort it all out. My solution to this bug was to install Elementary OS Luna.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I might just install Xubuntu instead, though I really wanted to use Unity/GNOME Shell because its more usable on smaller screened devices (at least I think it is). XFCE has been my favorite environment for my desktop, though I'm not sure I will like it as much on my Lenovo.
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Xubuntu is also my fav. DE. However, you might consider Luna OS. I was in a similar situation and have decided that Luna works quite well on my Netbook (Acer Aspire). It's very keyboard friendly, and despite being a BETA, is comparatively stable and bug free (much more so, in my experience) than either Unity, Cinnamon or Gnome Shell. It's not all that tweakable, but on a small screen that doesn't bother me. P.S. It's based on 12.04 LTS.