Thread: After install, Windows doesn't appear as a boot option

Beans

After install, Windows doesn't appear as a boot option

Hi everyone! I've just installed ubuntu on my desktop and love it but I've hit a bit of a problem. On my computer I have one SSD that I installed Windows 8 on and a HDD that is used to store all my files(I have some very large photoshop/image files). When installing ubuntu I chose to partition the SSD and install it on there and all has gone well. I partitioned the SSD while loading on ubuntu and gave it 30GB space which is more than I need for it but my issue is when I turn on my computer it loads ubuntu by default and I now cant find my bootable Windows 8 partition. I can only see my SSD and HDD in the BIOS and not the individual partitions. Any ideas? It's not a big deal for now but I will need Windows back at some point in the near future!

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Last edited by sandyd; July 8th, 2013 at 04:01 AM. Reason: title

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Some help for a noob

Can you open a terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) and enter
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and copy and paste the output here? This commands lists all your hard disks and their partitions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is it a Laptop or Desktop? what brand and model? Was Windows8 pre-installed? If it came pre-installed then the chances are its booting from EFI partition. Is it?

Post the output of BootInfo Script.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Hi, here is the results of sudo fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120034123776 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, total 234441648 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0xbc0abc0a

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 63 60200478 30100208 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
    255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, total 312581808 sectors
    Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
    Disk identifier: 0x3c683c67

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sdb1 63 312576704 156288321 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT

I guess by looking at that it hasn't partitioned properly but if I look at Propoties of the Home folder it only shows 25GB left which makes sense considering I only gave 30GB to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Is it a Laptop or Desktop? what brand and model? Was Windows8 pre-installed? If it came pre-installed then the chances are its booting from EFI partition. Is it?

Post the output of BootInfo Script.
    Hi, it's a desktop that I've built my self and I installed Windows 8 on it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Duncanpainter View Post
    Hi everyone! I've just installed ubuntu on my desktop and love it but I've hit a bit of a problem. On my computer I have one SSD that I installed Windows 8 on and a HDD that is used to store all my files(I have some very large photoshop/image files). When installing ubuntu I chose to partition the SSD and install it on there and all has gone well. I partitioned the SSD while loading on ubuntu and gave it 30GB space which is more than I need for it but my issue is when I turn on my computer it loads ubuntu by default and I now cant find my bootable Windows 8 partition. I can only see my SSD and HDD in the BIOS and not the individual partitions. Any ideas? It's not a big deal for now but I will need Windows back at some point in the near future!
    Since you didn't post the output of 'BootInfo script' it will be hard to tell what is going on with Grub.

Boot-Repair tool is quite adept at fix the kind of issue you are having. Its a known bug where Grub uses a wrong entry for Windows, (but this was with UEFI).
    Try Boot-Repair and run the 'Recommended Repair' and see if it helps. If it does not then post the link which 'BootInfo Summary' generates, this should give us pretty good idea of your Boot process.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Have you installed GRUB on the very partition you installed Ubuntu, or on the MBR? The former can cause problems at times.

First try this on the terminal:

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    It's the simplest solution, and will typically work if the problem is simple.

There is a cute little application called GRUB Customizer, which will let you customize your GRUB configuration in detail, and will typically show you the missing OS entries and add them to your GRUB menu for you. You could try that one as well.

If none of those work, your problem is on the complicated side, and you'd need Boot-Repair. Going for the recommended repair usually fixes the problem with the mere exception of mapping issues afaik.

Note that all those solutions assume you didn't destroy the Windows partition and/or boot sector somehow. The Windows 8 Loader has to be present and the partition must be healthy, otherwise your solution lies within Windows itself, not Linux.

To make sure it's still there, you could try installing a third party bootloader such as Paragon, and see if it detects your Win8 installation. If you're running multiple HDD's, I recommend installing the GRUB loader on the SSD MBR, and Windows loader on the HDD MBR, just to be on the safe side should something fail unexpectedly.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

One small suggestion for future reference: you get better help if the subject of your thread describes the problem, such as "After install, Windows doesn't appear as a boot option.