Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why does everybody hate Unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Why does everybody hate Unity?

Unity's great here. But what do I know, I like just about any environment.

Beans
    Hidden!

I open several applications in different workspaces. Switching between them can be a real pain with Unity.
    I have XP run in Vbox with a dedicated Window all the time, I need iTunes to stream my favorite radio stations like Radio Swiss, Radio Venice...
    Sorry, I am not a purist. I use whatever that suits me best.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leclerc65 View Post
    I open several applications in different workspaces. Switching between them can be a real pain with Unity.
    I have XP run in Vbox with a dedicated Window all the time, I need iTunes to stream my favorite radio stations like Radio Swiss, Radio Venice...
    Sorry, I am not a purist. I use whatever that suits me best.
    It cannot be easier if you use scale and create a hot corner to initiate windows picking on all workplaces so it works like gnome-shell but you can access apps in all virual desktops (unfortunately this is broken atm in 12.04 but works beautifully in 13.04, fix will be backported to 12.04 in 12.04.3 according to roadmap). You can also use edge flip with desktop wall (or cube, though I find the cube a bit awkard for this usage). All these involve only mouse movements with your eyes only on the screen. These options are all available in the ccsm in addition to the unity keyboard shortcuts. Aside: Compiz is much more than just eye candy IMO.

The dash is one of the best features of Unity IMO. I find the menu driven "classic way" to access applications and files rather limiting, which is exactly why Windows users have icons and folders littering all over their desktops, now with the Unity dash you don't have to have anything actually on your desktop, you can bring up a screen full of icons and folders on demand by opening the dash ( gnomeshell is similar that way though its "dash" doesn't search files)
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 4th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I find the menu driven "classic way" to access applications and files rather limiting, which is exactly why Windows users have icons and folders littering all over their desktops, now with the Unity dash you don't have to have anything actually on your desktop, you can bring up a screen full of icons and folders on demand by opening the dash ( gnomeshell is similar that way though its "dash" doesn't search files)
    I don't talk about accessing applications, I do about applications already opened.
    Everyday when the PC is booted up I have at least these opened: virtual XP, Log file viewer, Thunderbird , Firefox, Google Chrome, Caja ...
    Navigating the left panel of Unity with more than half a dozen applications running is not fun. For example when I am browsing using Chrome (opened in workspace 1) to XP (workspace 4) I just look at the symbols at the bottom of the panel of Mate.
    My old brain is not as sharp as you guys' , the disk space is full.
    You may ask why 2 browsers ? Well, my Chrome is on the leash. When it sulks, I have to copy the link to Firefox - after checking if the link is safe. Why Chrome but not Firefox only ? Because Chrome is fast...
    Well everybody has his/her own reasons to do things, to each his/her own.
    Last edited by leclerc65; July 4th, 2013 at 03:56 PM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by leclerc65 View Post
    I don't talk about accessing applications, I do about applications already opened.
    Everyday when the PC is booted up I have at least these opened: virtual XP, Log file viewer, Thunderbird , Firefox, Google Chrome, Caja ...
    I have addressed that in the first paragraph, why did you cite the second one and then said that I didn't answer your question?

This is how I do it. I have enabled the upper left hand corner as my hot corner to pick applications from all virtual desktops (or workplace) If I move the mouse to the upper left corner it will show all opened applications on all desktop (including the minimized ones), focusing on the application will automatically switch me to the desktop where this application is (or f you have several instances of the same application in different workplaces, focusing on an instance will bring you to the correct desktop)

I can do this with just one hand on the mouse. I don't see what difficulties are involved.

In KDE I use the same method to switch between deskops because it is the most convenient IMO, though you can also use the panel (which is probably what you do). Personally I prefer using the corner as I don't even have to worry about which workplace to switch to (KDE allows that in the panel as well if you use preview, but don't think you could do that in gnome-2)

The switching can be done with either wall or cube, depending on which one you have activated.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; July 4th, 2013 at 08:57 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I don't hate Unity, I just like KDE better. All the desktops have some advantages and some frustrating quirks. It's just a matter of personal preference. I think Unity is actually a pretty elegant design, when it works. 12.04 worked well, 13.04 seems stable so far. 12.10 was unusable to me, and sent me back to KDE. Kubuntu 13.04 is just too good to abandon, IMO.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yep...Unity in 13.04 has been like really solid...best yet i would say...it's been my most enjoyable experience with it yet...
    I rather like it because the unity dock, global menu and dash search all kind of remind me (fondly) of when i was using the mac for a while (about a year) after i dumped windows but before discovering linux and ubuntu of course...

I think many who either hated or were indifferent to unity when it first arrived, have since come around about it...

Beans

Well it isn't 'everybody' for a start!

But those that do complain seem to mostly be dissatisfied because:
    1. They have to adjust to a new way of working on their computer.
    2. Resource usage has gone up up up (compared to lighter DE's) with Unity, ('though Unity 7 saw a nice drop in that regard).
    3. Shopping lenses etc seem to rub a lot of folk up the wrong way.

Those that are happy with Unity and know how to remove/switch off the shopping feature are unlikely to post about it.

(IMO)

Beans

Many dislike Unity because design decisions are being made for phones/tablets with the functionality of the DesktopPC secondary.
    One example of this is not being able to minimize an app by clicking on it's launcher or even change the position of the launcher.
    Last edited by stinkeye; July 5th, 2013 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Too many clicks to access programs:

Unity - click Dash; click search bar; type name of program (what was it called again?); click on program icon

OR

click Dash; click Applications icon at bottom of Dash screen (which obscure button was it again?); click All or subcategory; click Show all installed if program's not in the first few displayed; click program icon

Unity bar provides room for only a few pinned programs before collapsing them at the bottom; also, fewer system settings offered than with say, XFCE/Xubuntu or Cinnamon.

Xubuntu? nearly double the space on bottom of the screen for frequently used programs (about 27 at default icon size, 45 or so if shrunk to 25 px). Swoop mouse, 1 click, done. Program not in bottom panel? As with all enviros featuring an applications menu, click menu button, hover mouse over category, click desired program. 2 clicks, 2 mouse motions, 0 sweat.

That's why I don't hate Unity, but find it only marginally better than Win 8's Metro.
    Last edited by Bill Tetzeli; July 5th, 2013 at 07:25 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast