Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problems updating and installing

Beans

Problems updating and installing

Hi,

I seem to be having issues updating. Through update manager things just seem to hang, and if I try sudo apt-get update I get errors like Err 403 Forbidden. I tried creating a sources list then replacing the old one, but upon running the keys as the website suggested this also failed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problems updating and installing

Please post the output of

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    so we can see which sources are kicking the 403.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Actually, today sudo apt-get update seems to work fine and no Err 403 generated, strange. Never the less if I try to update using update manager, which has a list of updates for me ready to install, I get:

Requires installation of untrusted packages

The action would require the installation of packages from unauthenticated sources.

fonts-opensymbol gimp gimp-data gimp-plugin-registry libbabl-0.1-0 libcmis-0.2-2 libgegl-0.2-0 libgimp2.0 libreoffice libreoffice-base libreoffice-base-core libreoffice-calc libreoffice-common libreoffice-core libreoffice-draw libreoffice-emailmerge libreoffice-filter-mobiledev libreoffice-gnome libreoffice-gtk libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-impress libreoffice-java-common libreoffice-math libreoffice-style-human libreoffice-style-tango libreoffice-writer libwps-0.2-2 python-uno spotify-client spotify-client-qt ttf-opensymbol uno-libs3 ure

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Question Re: Problems updating and installing

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael84 View Post
    Actually, today sudo apt-get update seems to work fine and no Err 403 generated, strange. Never the less if I try to update using update manager, which has a list of updates for me ready to install, I get:
    Is there any functionality gained (other than ease of use) in the graphical update tool not realized by using apt from the command line?

I am admittedly a command line junkie and still looking for that way to edit my spreadsheets from the command line (not really). :-/
    --
    System76 Gazelle Professional (gazp6)

Beans

Is there any functionality gained (other than ease of use) in the graphical update tool
    I'm more worried about why it's suddenly stopped working, and also why even after the command line update, the gui updater still has a big list of things it seems to want to update. Could it be a problem with the authentication keys or something?

Beans

Actually it was apt-get upgrade that was successful, sorry. When I do apt-get update I still get the errors:

Fetched 1,227 kB in 13s (91.8 kB/s)
    W: GPG error: http://repository.spotify.com stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 082CCEDF94558F59
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 1015216E75198A89
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 3BDAAC08614C4B38
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY B302120208A255AF
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY D0AFF96872D340A3
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 83FBA1751378B444
    W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net precise Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY EF4186FE247510BE

Beans

I *seem* to have fixed this by manually adding keys in the manner

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys B302120208A255AF
    for each missing key. I tried sudo apt-keys update first with no success. I then do sudo apt-get update with no errors.

Finally on update manager things seem to now install (I'm somewhat puzzled why there are items left to install at here; why did sudo apt-get update not do the installs?)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I *seem* to have fixed this by manually adding keys in the manner . . . for each missing key. I tried sudo apt-keys update first with no success. I then do sudo apt-get update with no errors.
    Just FYI, what you ended up doing is the standard procedure for adding repositories/PPAs. You must manually add the keys for those sources, either as you did or by installing a keyring package for the source (if it exists). This is a security feature. ('sudo apt-key update' only updates the existing local keyring with the keyring from the corresponding distribution archive.)

Finally on update manager things seem to now install (I'm somewhat puzzled why there are items left to install at here; why did sudo apt-get update not do the installs?)
    'sudo apt-get update' does not install anything. Did you mean 'sudo apt-get upgrade'? If so, if you don't tell apt that it can install from untrusted sources, it won't do so; that's probably why it didn't already install those packages.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jrog View Post
    Just FYI, what you ended up doing is the standard procedure for adding repositories/PPAs. You must manually add the keys for those sources, either as you did or by installing a keyring package for the source (if it exists).
    Not necessarily. If you add a ppa using the add-apt-repository command (or the apt-add-repository command for 12.10), the keys are added automatically. IMO, a much simpler approach if the ppa is listed at launchpad.net.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Not necessarily. If you add a ppa using the add-apt-repository command (or the apt-add-repository command for 12.10), the keys are added automatically. IMO, a much simpler approach if the ppa is listed at launchpad.net.
    Good catch. You're right; I forgot that that option existed for Launchpad PPAs.
    Asus K55A (Core i5-3210M @ 2.5GHz/8GB RAM/120GB SSD/Intel HD 4000) with Ubuntu 12.10 Beta 2
    Compaq Presario C700 (Pentium Dual-Core @ 1.6GHz/2.5GB RAM/500GB HDD/Intel GM965) with Arch Linux and Linux Mint Debian Edition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast