Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SIlverlight, Moonlight, and Ubuntu

Beans

Re: SIlverlight, Moonlight, and Ubuntu

Thanks for posting about pipelight evilsoup! I am running Kubuntu 12.04 and had been unable to get some of my wife's coursework for nursing school to run properly. I installed pipelight and had it working within a few minutes. I wish I could +1 ya!

Beans

Thank you very much! Pipeline works great and it was easy to install.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Irihapeti View Post
    Unfortunately, and it's probably not what you want to hear, you need to use Silverlight in Windows if you want to access these files.
    I'm also annoyed - I just subscribe to "Sky Go Extra" so I could watch my movies on my laptop which runs Puppy Linux, and it said I needed Silverlight.

Went to Microsoft's "OFFICIAL" Silverlight website and this is what they say

"Microsoft Silverlight is a free web-browser plug-in that enables interactive media experiences, rich business applications and immersive mobile apps.
    Windows? Check. Mac? Check. Linux? Check. Silverlight works on all major OS's plus all major browsers, including Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari, and yes, Internet Explorer."

Microsoft are obviously doing this so they don't get done again for forcing people to use their OS, it makes them look good, either that or they can't be bothered updating their information correctly, which is pretty poor for such a large company as Microsoft.

You'd think that if they claim to support Linux with Silverlight they'd at least develop the plugin for it not just rely on a third party company to develop a similar plugin which doesn't support half the stuff that Silverlight does. It would be like Adobe with Flash not making their own plugin for Linux and just relying on a third party to do it.

Very disappointed, but then again it is Microsoft so what else can I expect from them. As for Sky they're not much better than Microsoft - making it that you must use their cheap junk Amstrad/Thomson Sky box to view Sky, making their dishes too small so you can't receive any other satellite systems, banning CAM manufacturers from creating CAMS so you can use a Sky card in a Freesat TV, forcing you to use their own cheap junk wireless router (another piece of Amstrad's junk), and now forcing people to install Silverlight and Windows just to watch Sky Go. Quite sure Rupert Murdoch, Alan Sugar and Bill Gates all work together on this one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you need support start a new thread. Closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12