Thread: dual booted

Beans

dual booted

hey guys I switched to ubuntu 13.04 an love it an I do my banking an personal an was wondering if I dual booted 12.04 12.10 cause I miss using such as sudo an trying to learn codes so if I dual booted an ubuntu would I be safe or should use clamtk I use the ufw firewall from software center

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: dual booted

13.04 is not different from earlier versions, as far as using sudo and the terminal are concerned. Just click the dash icon, and type "ter" in the search box, then click the terminal icon and drag it to the launcher.

Beans

But I'm concerned using sudo for security that's why I thought on using another distro dual booted for learning codes, sudo commands etc

Beans

Ya sorry guys I'm just wondering how secure I would be if I dual booted 2 distro's and use one for banking and the other for using terminal downloading I would like to learn more on the commands such as sudo but I heard using sudo is unsecure but if I dual booted 2 distro's would that make safer for me

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Why not just create a separate user with limited privileges, and set home directory permissions to 700, so only the user, and the system administrator can view the files. Then use the unprivileged user account to do your banking, and your regular account for everything else.

Beans

Thanks cariboo907 never thought on adding another account keep forgetting on that option I just love Ubuntu and how safe it is but I just wanted to learn more in the terminal sudo commands etc

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Ubuntu and its rule about using sudo is a lot safer than other Linux dstributions that allow you to become a root user. With Ubuntu sudo commands only give us administrator/root privileges for the period that we are using commands that require administrator privileges. After the task has been completed or after a few minutes the administrator privileges are removed and we are back to being a standard user.

I have no worries about doing online banking with Ubuntu. I am always running as standard user at the time and Ubuntu is secure. Mind you, I do not save my banking passwords and stuff on the computer. I especially, do not accept the offer of the Bank's web site to remember my passwords. If it ain't there, it can't be found.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Thanks grahammechanical I read just sudo how it likes hackers in once you use the sudo and your admin password that's why I'm asking these dumb questions so I can just forget Windows and go straight Ubuntu. I install the ufw firewall from the software center and when I download from torrent I enable from the ufw firewall and I also put the firewall in my launcher and I'm only using firefox for my important things and chromium for my fun