Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where is our OneNote alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Where is our OneNote alternative?

I love Ubuntu/Kubuntu. There are only a couple of programs that I have to ever open Windows for. Those aren't likely to change, and I am stuck on them. However, I would love a well integrated OneNote alternative for Linux. It appears that Basket Note Pads (which showed real promise for me) has been dropped. A copy of it, Basqet, seems also to have been dropped. I know there are other note-taking apps out there, but none (that I know of) resemble the features of OneNote at all. I wonder why no one has picked this up? It seems that these projects rise up for a while and then just fall. Obviously a volunteer's time has a lot to do with it. This is something, if done well, that I would be perfectly willing to pay for.

Are there alternatives that I know not of -- outside of Tomboy and wiki-style apps?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Where is our OneNote alternative?

I just had a bit of a look about and noticed Zim. Not having used OneNote have no idea how it compares. Big Zotero fan myself but that is probably not what you're after.

PS: You're not really running 11.04, are you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

At a glance, Zim looked a lot like Tomboy Notes, but it does a lot of other stuff, too, like TeX support and images, that puts it a bit more in line with OneNote, even if it isn't spatial. Not bad - I'm going to have to play with this myself.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've used zim for years and I like its simple, fast interface. Plus you can run it on multiple machines using one remote share file. OneNote is pretty, takes a while to load and does audio recording within the notes--something that zim does not do. So there is no direct replacement for OneNote, but zotero, xjournal, evernote are other ways to take notes in linux. It really depends on what your note requirements are.

I like OneNote, but there is no way I will wait for Windows to boot up (on a dual-boot system), just to use OneNote. I presume OneNote works in wine, but you will have to research that. Using OneNote in a virtual machine is another possibility, but I recall that audio recording doesn't work right, or there were other issues--again, some research is needed to verify.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah. I don't think zim is the replacement I'm looking for. I really want something free-form/spacial. It helps me "see" my thinking. I use zotero heavily for bibliography and organizing my documents, but I need a OneNote alternative for a different stage of research. Evernote has been a fairly good possibility, but, again, it isn't free-form. Basket Note Pad remains the best alternative -- even if it isn't in active development. I hope that somebody picks it up before it becomes un-usable. OneNote does work in Wine, though it isn't really stable enough. I have Windows 7 in a VB. I can run it in there, as I have to run a couple of other things from time to time. However, a Linux alternative is what I really want. Something well integrated into the system (libreoffice, email, browser, etc.), free-form with some available structure, drag-and-drop, etc. I'll probably never get it, but I would pay for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I was also stuck at this same point.. been usin RedNoteBook... does the job ok...
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro

I had used RedNoteBook for journaling in the past. I don't think it is a really viable option for research, though it is great for normal journaling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

For freeform notes, I use mindmapping on an 11"x17" drawing pad. There are several mindmapping tools (some in linux as well), but I find a drawing tablet works the best. The computer-based tools are quite clumsy for mindmapping when you have a lot of stuff to dump in a short period of time. Once I have a mindmap, then I can go to zim or other journaling tool (yes, even emacs org mode) to create a proper outline.

Omnifocus on the Mac perhaps came closest to freeform. OneNote is OK for freeform, but it's hard to beat paper and pen for this type of capture. I evaluated several tools (linux, mac, and windows) a few years ago, and I came to the conclusion that decent mindmapping on paper worked the best for me.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole: http://www.43folders.com/2006/09/17/mac-mind-mapping

Don't blame me if you never come out.
    Last edited by tgalati4; July 11th, 2013 at 05:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tgalati4 View Post
    ... decent mindmapping on paper worked the best for me.

If you really want to go down that rabbit hole: http://www.43folders.com/2006/09/17/mac-mind-mapping

Don't blame me if you never come out.
    Extreme and extremely limited if you are considering that is your only mind-mapping option (I've never seen it). There are a few options in Linux and in the repos, View Your Mind being my favourite (VYM). I have a bunch installed in another install. I'll report back when I'm in there. You need to do more digging. Mind-mapping in Ubuntu is most certainly not a hole from whence one will never return, although your suggested Mac link may be. I wouldn't know.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The entire blog/website is the black hole, not mindmapping or software tools in Ubuntu linux. Sorry for the confusion. I've used VYM, and it is OK, but perhaps not powerful enough for the OP.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast