Thread: Problem With HDMI from Computer To TV Hookup

Beans

Problem With HDMI from Computer To TV Hookup

Ok, so I finally got an HDMI cable to connect my PC to my flat screen tv. Having this ability is great, and things look great on the screen... however, it seems that every time I try and do this - the signal is fine for a small amount of time, then it starts to blink in and out, and it looks like it gets worse the longer it's on...... Does anyone know if this is an issue with the cable or Ubuntu? HDMI cable is fairly long and I ran it under carpet, so maybe one of the windings around something is causing a kink that is weakening the signal? Any suggestions or insight would be helpful.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Problem With HDMI from Computer To TV Hookup

how long?
    when you say bad signal you mean green dots right
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Not long, half hour or less. No, not green dots, basically it blinks in and out - displays "HDMI" in the upper corner of the TV screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

My HDMI cable is relatively stiff, and nearly any little nudge of the computer will cause it to lose full contact with the HDMI socket so that the image deteriorates.

Perhaps this happens as the computer heats up? Have you blown the dust out of the computer lately? Or maybe the dog steps on the cable under the carpet?

Try arranging the hardware to minimize the chances of the HDMI connection being compromised. Does this still happen?
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by johnsmoke View Post
    Not long, half hour or less. No, not green dots, basically it blinks in and out - displays "HDMI" in the upper corner of the TV screen.
    long as in feet/meters
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pqwoerituytrueiwoq View Post
    long as in feet/meters
    It's 25 feet total

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

The first time I connected a BlueRay player to my current HDTV it was working intermittently. It turned out that one of the HDMI plugs was not fully seated in the socket.

There are no general problems using HDMI with Ubuntu. I forget if I am currently using DVI to HDMI or straight HDMI (I have used both) because I normally use analog 2.1 PC speaker system w/subwoofer that has better sound than the 32" HDTV I use as a monitor.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz upgraded to i7 870, 16 GB 1333 RAM, nvidia GTX 1060, 32" 1080p & assorted older computers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by efflandt View Post
    The first time I connected a BlueRay player to my current HDTV it was working intermittently. It turned out that one of the HDMI plugs was not fully seated in the socket.

There are no general problems using HDMI with Ubuntu. I forget if I am currently using DVI to HDMI or straight HDMI (I have used both) because I normally use analog 2.1 PC speaker system w/subwoofer that has better sound than the 32" HDTV I use as a monitor.

I'll double check the seating on both ends today when I get home. The only thing I was thinking is that since it's a fairly large length of cord, and I had to sort of weave it around a couple corners to hide the cord under the carpet and such, that maybe one of the bends was messing with the cord - but this particular cord has a thick shielding layer around it, so I don't think that's likely the issue. Really want to solve this, because I LOVE the convenience of HDMI from PC To TV hook up.

Beans

Checked the seating.. unplugged, each end, plugged back in.... still the same problem. Not sure what the problem is here!