Thread: What to install on 512Mb RAM and Sempron

Beans

Post What to install on 512Mb RAM and Sempron

Hello.
    I'm a Windows user and i want to use Ubuntu , but my PC is not the newest pc.
    I got only 512 MB Ram 256 MB Video card and an AMD Semprom 2.1 GHZ processor.
    What version of Ubuntu i should use to run it smooth without problems and no lag.

P.S : Sorry for my bad english writing i'm from Romania , and sorry if i posted in a wrong section but please answer.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 30th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: What to install on 512Mb RAM and Sempron

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

I have changed the title of your thread so you might have a better chance of getting help. Generic titles like 'need help' don't get any special attention as that's why most people are here. The reason your thread has been moved here is because what to run on low-spec machine is a question that has been asked many times and there is a lot of information available already.

For a machine with those specs Lubuntu might be a good choice. I was looking at Puppy Linux today. You don't need to install that on a hard drive and doesn't take much to run. Try this:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ubuntu+low+spec

With those specs it is doubtful you will run one of the officially supported flavours. Do a search for:

ubuntu system requirements
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 30th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have Lubuntu running on a machine with similar specs.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Lubuntu is what I would try, along side peppermint OS (that suckers a speed demon, even on older specs)

Beans
    Hidden!

Lubuntu is the one, if you want to stay within the *ubuntu family.

Be warned that you may have a problem with flash video as the sempron cpu, or at least some of them including my old sempron 2400+, are not sse2 enabled and therefore will not be able to use the latest version of flash, 11.2 or later, including the pepperflash of google-chrome.

You can use flash but it will have to be the previous version (you can get from https://github.com/downloads/webgapp...ux.i386.tar.gz) as mentioned in the thread at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953796.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 16.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads