Thread: Latest NVIDIA drivers from website (for optimus support)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Latest NVIDIA drivers from website (for optimus support)

So, I just learned that the newest proprietary NVIDIA drivers support optimus (i have geforce gt 635m), but nothing shows up in the "Additional Drivers" thing yet (using 12.04). So I decided to try to install it from the website. It gave me a message saying "distribution-provided pre-install script failed! continue?" I said no because I don't know what that means for me and I don't want to kill my computer by accident. Does anyone know either a way around this or whether it's safe to proceed anyway?

Thanks!
    Intel core i5-2400, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Beans

Re: Latest NVIDIA drivers from website (for optimus support)

but nothing shows up in the "Additional Drivers" thing yet (using 12.04)
    Installing the nvidia driver directly borks the open-source intel driver, which is why "Additional Drivers" doesn't give you an option to do that.

So I decided to try to install it from the website.
    Bad idea.

So, I just learned that the newest proprietary NVIDIA drivers support optimus
    The latest drivers don't really support Optimus (switching seamlessly between Intel and nvidia cards). They support using the nvidia card for everything (which will shorten battery life significantly). You need a 3.9.x kernel and an nvidia 319.xx driver. There's a rough guide here, but I personally wouldn't recommend most users toy with their systems that way unless they're comfortable with console recovery: http://www.barunisystems.com/index.p...page?view=blog
    Last edited by Temüjin; June 30th, 2013 at 09:17 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Latest NVIDIA drivers from website (for optimus support)

You might want to read this. Someone tried using 13.04 and failed. Note the issues that you will have with 12.04

http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/nvidi...s-drivers.html

For now, the latest Nvidia 319.12 beta drivers don't work in Ubuntu by default, not even in Raring,
    Things may have improved since 10th April. May be not.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; June 30th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530