Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lubuntu Audio Issues

Beans

Lubuntu Audio Issues

Hello absolute linux/lubuntu beginner here, and I have some issues. I installed the latest lubuntu (intelx86) onto my desktop, and everything is working perfectly however my audio from youtube/music is very poor quality. I have to turn my speaker all the way up to have normal volume, and all I hear is static. I have used the "volume control" setting to try different audio configs but it is no use. I have tried every config with pulseaudio with no result. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling pulseaudio with no results.When running windows XP, the sound was just fine, but now its no longer functioning. I'm using a dell XPS 400. I have tried most everything that the lubuntu wiki on sound issues has told me to do, but i can get anywhere. If it helps I also have a Zylux external subwoofer, and lubuntu recognizes my X-Fi sound in pulse audio.
    I would appreciate any help, and will gladly answer any questions that will help diagnose the problem.
    EDIT:

lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Ubuntu
    Description: Ubuntu 13.04
    Release: 13.04
    Codename: raring
    dovidio@dovidio-Dell-DXP051:~$

sudo lshw -C multimedia
    *-multimedia UNCLAIMED
    description: Multimedia controller
    product: Theater 550 PRO PCIe
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    version: 00
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:fbe00000-fbefffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff
    *-multimedia
    description: Multimedia audio controller
    product: SB X-Fi
    vendor: Creative Labs
    physical id: 4
    bus info: pci@0000:05:04.0
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=snd_ctxfi latency=64 maxlatency=5 mingnt=4
    resources: irq:16 ioport:cce0(size=32) memory:fb600000-fb7fffff memory:f4000000-f7ffffff

More info: With headphones plugged in the sound is perfect, so maybe it is just my speakers that are causing the trouble? I am having this issue with all sound, not just youtube.
    Last edited by TCZaro; June 30th, 2013 at 02:18 PM.

Beans

Re: Lubuntu Audio Issues

Any suggestions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

First, welcome to Ubuntu and the forums!

Is this problem confined to Youtube (indicating it's probably an issue with your Flash player) or system-wide (probably a hardware or driver issue)?

It might help if you gave us some information about your system, starting with the outputs of these two terminal commands. (You can simply highlight them in your browser and drag them to the terminal, rather than copying them manually.)

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C multimedia
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello and Welcome

Thank you for choosing and using Lubuntu!

sudo lshw -C multimedia
    *-multimedia UNCLAIMED
    description: Multimedia controller
    product: Theater 550 PRO PCIe
    vendor: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI
    physical id: 0
    bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
    width: 32 bits
    capabilities: pm pciexpress msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: latency=0
    resources: memory:fbe00000-fbefffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff
    Is this the main speaker that you have?

*-multimedia
    description: Multimedia audio controller
    product: SB X-Fi
    vendor: Creative Labs
    physical id: 4
    bus info: pci@0000:05:04.0
    width: 64 bits
    capabilities: pm msi bus_master cap_list
    configuration: driver=snd_ctxfi latency=64 maxlatency=5 mingnt=4
    resources: irq:16 ioport:cce0(size=32) memory:fb600000-fb7fffff memory:f4000000-f7ffffff
    Is this your headphone?

More info: With headphones plugged in the sound is perfect, so maybe it is just my speakers that are causing the trouble? I am having this issue with all sound, not just youtube.
    From the information you have shared so far, I think the system is not recognizing your speaker while it does for the headphone. The

Code:
    lshw -C multimedia
    is showing that.

The first product has no driver while the 2nd one does. If the 2nd one is your headphone and the first is your speaker, then that is the issue. As long as everything is fine with your headphone, this means the system itself has no issue but the output device is having an issue. It could be driver issue (most likely).

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I could be wrong, but I think the Theater 550 PRO is a TV tuner, and the SB X-Fi is the sound card that includes the headphone jack in addition to three speaker jacks (for surround sound). At least, that's the description I get here http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...30980731501410.

Is that correct?

Beans

@ newb85 I think that you are correct. I do not believe I have any component called "Theater 550 PRO", but I do know that my X-Fi sound card (which is recognized in pulseaudio) " includes the headphone jack in addition to three speaker jacks (for surround sound)".
    If my system did not recognize my speaker, then could it still produce sound, no matter how poor quality? Would getting new speakers solve this problem? If I got USB speakers (I don't care about sound quality) would the system not recognize them?

Beans

Anybody have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If the speaker jacks are standard 1.5mm stereo jacks, then there's no recognition to be done, and either the speaker outputs of your card aren't working correctly, or your speakers are bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you run alsamixer in a terminal, does it show different volumes for each channel?

Beans

I tried different speakers, with the same result. When I run alsamixer it shows the channels at 100 <> 100. With these new speakers I was able to plug my headphones into the speaker, and I heard the same static, and garbled noise. The speakers are new, so its unlikely that something is wrong with them, so I guess it's something wrong with my computer. I don't know why switching over to lubuntu would cause this problem though.

Solved!!
    The problem was that for some reason, the back audio jack for the 3.5mm cable produced the low quality sound, while the front jack did. Thanks for everyone who helped.
    Last edited by TCZaro; July 3rd, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast