Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Gnome edition

Chanath is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Ubuntu Gnome edition

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    Sorry but you are confused. In Ubuntu GNOME, please install gnome-panel (or gnome-session-flashback). Log out and you'll see that there are two different and separate sessions: GNOME Classic and GNOME Flashback.
    Okay, but does the Gnome-Classic look like Gnome-Classic in that screenshot in #9? There is a mixture of menus there, and if you click on the "Applications", you get typical Gnome shell Applications view, but with fixed 4 workspaces. The Dash is there too, so what's the difference between the Gnome (Shell) session & the Gnome-Classic session in it? What is the use of the unresponsive bottom panel, if I can get a task bar as a gnome extension in the top panel, just as its in the Gnome (Shell) session?

Gnome Flashback looks very much like the old Gnome 2, whereas the Gnome-Classic doesn't.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Talking Re: Ubuntu Gnome edition

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    Okay, but does the Gnome-Classic look like Gnome-Classic in that screenshot in #9? There is a mixture of menus there, and if you click on the "Applications", you get typical Gnome shell Applications view, but with fixed 4 workspaces. The Dash is there too, so what's the difference between the Gnome (Shell) session & the Gnome-Classic session in it? What is the use of the unresponsive bottom panel, if I can get a task bar as a gnome extension in the top panel, just as its in the Gnome (Shell) session?

Gnome Flashback looks very much like the old Gnome 2, whereas the Gnome-Classic doesn't.
    Hi, I hope all is well.

I will make 2 suggestions:

1) Please do not argue tech stuff with the former lead developer of UG.

2) Please do me a favor and listen whenever he takes the time to comment here. Thank you.

Now, I upgraded to UG Saucy back in April (havent done any fresh installs yet). Beyond the keyboard searches being fragmented, GS runs buttery smooth.
    Ubuntu +1 (Trusty Tahr)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post

Why not ? tech stuff should indeed be discussed with a developer. I like very much what Jeremy has done to make the impossible happen, putting the Gnome DE back (where it belongs) on top of Ubuntu.
    That doesn't mean I agree in every move or the general direction Ubuntu-GNOME has taken since the project started ( as you probably have noticed ).

Now, I upgraded to UG Saucy back in April (havent done any fresh installs yet). Beyond the keyboard searches being fragmented, GS runs buttery smooth.
    Well good for you, you got all the butter. I got all the chrashes

Suggestion: Ubuntu-GNOME 13.10 should be aligned with the Gnome releases and released with GNOME 3.10.1 sometime after october the 16.
    Ubuntu-GNOME should NOT have to respect the old "stable" Gnome version in Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Ubuntu-GNOME should NOT have to respect the old "stable" Gnome version in Ubuntu.
    I believe it has to use whatever is in the Ubuntu repositories, which I think it has to do to remain an "official" flavor, etc. If you want 3.10, well, that's why they invented the gnome3-team ppa's

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by OGpmpdog View Post
    Hi, I hope all is well.

Oh, I thought he was still the lead developer. If he is not, that must be the problem with Ubuntu Gnome edition. I hope he is doing something with it, though.
    I'm not going to uninstall the Gnome editon, not until the 14.04 comes out as daily cdimage in October.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I believe it has to use whatever is in the Ubuntu repositories, which I think it has to do to remain an "official" flavor, etc. If you want 3.10, well, that's why they invented the gnome3-team ppa's
    Yeah I know, being an official flavor comes with a price tag as long as Ubuntu can't handle the changes in Gnome because of the Unity-shell they use.
    The developers call it stability and polish but it's nothing more than bending and tweaking the Gnome components to fit the needs of the Unity-shell.
    This has nothing to do with actual development or progress. most development in Ubuntu lies in the Unity-shell and all it's fancy ( commercial ) lenses.
    I personally think this adaption process is a waste of good developer resources. But that's the price Ubuntu has to pay to be in control. I don't think it's fair to pass this price tag to Ubuntu-GNOME too.

Well maybe this dilemma will resolve itself when the Unity-shell is ported to QT and Mir ? I can only hope
    Last edited by Stinger; July 6th, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger View Post
    Yeah I know, being an official flavor comes with a price tag as long as Ubuntu can't handle the changes in Gnome because of the Unity-shell they use.
    The developers call it stability and polish but it's nothing more than bending and tweaking the Gnome components to fit the needs of the Unity-shell.
    This has nothing to do with actual development or progress. most development in Ubuntu lies in the Unity-shell and all it's fancy ( commercial ) lenses.
    I personally think this adaption process is a waste of good developer resources. But that's the price Ubuntu has to pay to be in control, but I don't think it's fair to pass this price tag to Ubuntu-GNOME too.

Well maybe this dilemma will resolve itself when the Unity-shell is ported to QT and Mir ? I can only hope
    I agree with you for the most part. Ever since Ubuntu went on their Unity kick, I've felt like the writing was on the wall. I'm not interested in Unity, and 'lenses' and commercial tie-ins and whatnot. I have been sort of waffling around since that began. I have found Debian to be a solid home-base, but if it's the latest and greatest that you're after, well, it might not be your cup of tea. Me, I don't care - I just want to do the stuff I need to do, and I want stability. Boy, does Debian deliver on that score.

Fedora might track upstream Gnome a little better, I don't know. F 19 just came out with GS3.8. I've tried just about everything out there, and nothing has really impressed me. The fact is that Ubuntu maintains fairly awesome repositories, and that is why I have stuck with Ubuntu as long as I have - IMO the repos are their primary value-add. But it's been a long time since I felt they were going my way - hence my experimentation with other distros, primarily Debian. Talk about 'upstream' - it is the headwaters, really.

Just home from my 40th HS reunion... I guess I'm old enough now to where I value the stability over cutting edge.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    I agree with you for the most part. Ever since Ubuntu went on their Unity kick, I've felt like the writing was on the wall. I'm not interested in Unity, and 'lenses' and commercial tie-ins and whatnot. I have been sort of waffling around since that began.
    I have been waffling a bit myself too First I thought "Ubuntu and Unity must be the way", Gnome 3 was only half baked and not an option then. I tried Fedora 17 and thought this has got some potential afterall, wonder if Ubuntu has somthing similar ? I fell in love with the Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix , still use it on my netbook.
    For stability I use Mint Mate, else I use Ubuntu-Gnome and Fedora. ( been experimenting with Netrunner too, writing from it now, but thats another story )

Hope the HS reunion went well.
    Cheers !

Beans

I think the all-rounder of the Ubuntu family is Kubuntu. Maybe, Kubuntu might not be a fully supported derivative, but I've been experimenting with Kubuntu for sometime. I tried Mageia, Calculate, Sabayon KDE distros, but keep coming back to Kubuntu. This is a fully fledged distro, as KDE is fully fledged--you don't need to look for extensions etc, everything is there. Muon Discover, Muon Package Manager are highly responsive apps, Kwin gives the eye candy. Dolphin is a super file manager, and it has Libre-Office installed. I am using Kubuntu Saucy, and I have no hitches yet. Once, I thought KDE is childish, but not any more. Kubuntu's netbook DE is quite interesting too. You have to install it.

GS has lot of extensions, giving a massive choice to the user. There are even Gnomenu, Unity Dash and new Slingshot extensions too, which gives you a chance to stay away from GS's Dashboard. I have installed the old Slingshot launcher (not the extension) in GS, which works much better than the GS's default Dashboard. That, someone could make an extension to use these launchers, Gnomenu, New Slingshot etc, and if the user can install a qute old Slingshot and use that very easily, blocking away the GS's Dashboard, then I have a queston to the GS developers (I know, this is not the place for that), why do we need this Dashboard at all? I think everyone (developers) had gone nuts about touch screens, as in mobile phones. The desktop/laptop would live some more years--not everyone wants to lean forward and touch the screen with their fingers.

By the way, I installed the old Slingshot launcher in stock Ubuntu too. It is just a few hundred kbs. If I can autohide the top panel, I'd use it there, but as I can't autohide it, I had to install Gnome-panel and get to the clear screen. Not everyone has widescreen monitors.
    Last edited by Chanath; July 7th, 2013 at 07:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Chanath View Post
    GS has lot of extensions, giving a massive choice to the user. There are even Gnomenu, Unity Dash and new Slingshot extensions too, which gives you a chance to stay away from GS's Dashboard.
    I like the GS Dashboard. You can move it to the desktop, where it belongs, using 'Dash to Dock'.

Here it is, in GS 3.9.3 Staging (extension compiled from source)...

The only "problem" is, it remains on the left-side, Unity-style.

If I want to place a dock elsewhere, I use Plank.
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast