Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can't install fonts on Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Can't install fonts on Ubuntu

To work with items in the file to the file system try the following which is better for graphical applications . Excuse me if I misunderstood.
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    “ Diversity: The art of thinking independently together ”

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I always use "sudo -i" when I have a lot of things to run off in succession. Think it sets up a slightly different environment than "sudo su", so the difference might be important on occasion.
    Different in the sense that you're acting as root in root's home directory instead of your own home directory.

In other distros, I usually edit sudoers so I can play fast and loose without the password prompt. I agree, sort of, with Ubuntu's premise that forcing use of sudo and a password can enhance security. It doesn't, though, stop people from running dangerous commands.
    You're certainly free to "play fast and loose" on your system. Please do not advise others to do so, especially in Absolute Beginners. From the forums' Code of Conduct:

Remember to do things the Ubuntu way. Often there is more than one solution to a problem. Choose the one you think will be the easiest for the user and the method most commonly used in Ubuntu.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by newb85 View Post
    Different in the sense that you're acting as root in root's home directory instead of your own home directory.

You're certainly free to "play fast and loose" on your system. Please do not advise others to do so, especially in Absolute Beginners. From the forums' Code of Conduct:
    True indeed! Thanks for the reminder. (Altho it wasn't offered as advice.)

Friends, do not try that at home.

(But, seriously, the security implications of using "sudo -i" or "sudo su" in Ubuntu, which allows you to run an indefinite number of commands as root until you log out, versus editing sudoers in Fedora/Slackware/OpenSuse/etc to be able to do "sudo <command> without the password prompt, seem to me pretty equivalent.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

(But, seriously, the security implications of using "sudo -i" or "sudo su" in Ubuntu, which allows you to run an indefinite number of commands as root until you log out, versus editing sudoers in Fedora/Slackware/OpenSuse/etc to be able to do "sudo <command> without the password prompt, seem to me pretty equivalent.)
    True. A good reason to simply instruct the use of sudo for each individual command requiring superuser privileges, or at least to instruct them to log out after they've run commands in a sudo su or sudo -i environment. The idea behind Ubuntu's setup is to minimize the time spent running with scissors.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The difference between running sudo -i/sudo su and editing the sudoers file is that you can exit the sudo -i/sudo su commands, so they run temporary, where as the edit is for life, so to speak.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

@Datzy

If you are still about, it's not clear if you ever tried to just put the font file into ~/.fonts as was suggested. That does not require any elevated privileges.

Just open a file manager window to ~/.fonts (create the folder if necessary) and then drag and drop the font file in there.

It's installed (for you, anyway).

Later, you can put another copy of the font file into /usr/share/fonts for the benefit of any other users of your machine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12