Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manual partitioning woes...

Beans

Re: Manual partitioning woes...

As far as my Lenovo BIOS, it's as up to date. I just updated it earlier this morning.

We're kind of going down a UEFI based discussion. Just to pump the brakes a second, here's the thing that confuses me the most. If UEFI has some brokenness or issues with certain vendors, that's fine. But what about Legacy BIOS with GPT partition table? How is it Legacy BIOS Is somehow seemingly still broken when GPT is used with no UEFI nonsense in sight? This is what confuses me more than anything else in the UEFI arena...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I do not have UEFI, but the CSM is a new implementation of BIOS inside or side by side with UEFI, but BIOS has been around long enough it should not be an issue.

I have been booting with gpt and BIOS since 10.10 on my 160GB drive and my SSD. I also use gpt on a 16GB flash drive just to see it it would work and it does. But you have to have the 1MBR unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag or grub will not install correctly.

Not sure I have seen anyone with BIOS boot issues specific to gpt partitioning. But there are many other issues, some require boot parameters and others are settings in BIOS. But everyone's BIOS is different so it often takes some effort to find correct settings.

I have to use nomodeset boot parameter on install and on first boot or until I install the nVidia proprietary drivers. Then my system works fine. But first time getting screen turned off, but system still running (I saw flash drive still installing) confused me until I learned I need nomodeset.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I have been booting with gpt and BIOS since 10.10 on my 160GB drive and my SSD. I also use gpt on a 16GB flash drive just to see it it would work and it does. But you have to have the 1MBR unformatted partition with the bios_grub flag or grub will not install correctly.
    Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I tried Legacy BIOS + GPT + 1 MB unformatted bios_grub @ the beginning of the disk with no luck... perhaps I'll give it another shot tomorrow, but I am pretty positive I tried that with no success.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12