Hi all - Little new so please bare with me.

I'm currently working on a project using a Beagleboard XM running Ubuntu 12.10. Beagleboard obviously has limited resources. Im trying to work out what components I need installed and which is the most lightweight option of each component.

I'm trying to compile VICE 2.4 (http://vice-emu.sourceforge.net/) for the ARMv7 Cortex A8 processor, and there are ALOT of compile options; which made me realize I have absolutely no idea about anything related to the Video / Graphical side of Linux and this is making it hard for me to choose the configuration options. I'd take the defaults but I seem to get EXTREME lag and I can't achieve 'full screen'. The Raspbery Pi is capable of this and is a lower spec, so I assume the Beagle should be able to achieve the same or better. This brings me to my first question;

1a) - What are the minimal 'Components' I need to be able to bring up a visual window. i.e X-Server, X-Client, Media Library, Media Code etc etc?
1b) - I am using the HDMI/DVI-D video out from the same system the OS is running on, so do I need both an XServer AND an XClient?
1c) - What are the lightest weight for ubuntu 12.10 of each of these components.

2 - The compile configuration options for VICE are as follows;

VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(xaw3d, [ --with-xaw3d use Xaw3d library instead of plain Xaw])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(readline, [ --without-readline do not try to use the system's readline library])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(midas, [ --with-midas use MIDAS sound system instead of Allegro for audio])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(arts, [ --with-arts use aRts sound system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(pulse, [ --without-pulse do not use PulseAudio sound system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(alsa, [ --without-alsa do not use the ALSA sound system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(oss, [ --without-oss do not use the OSS sound system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(sdlsound, [ --with-sdlsound use SDL sound system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(resid, [ --without-resid do not use the reSID engine])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(residfp, [ --without-residfp do not use the reSID-fp engine])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(png, [ --without-png do not use the PNG screenshot system])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(zlib, [ --without-zlib do not use the zlib support])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(picasso96, [ --with-picasso96 use Amiga P96 grafix system instead of cgx])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(cocoa, [ --with-cocoa enables native Cocoa UI on Macs])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(textfield, [ --disable-textfield disable enhanced text field widget])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(fullscreen, [ --disable-fullscreen disable XFree86 fullscreen detection])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(gnomeui, [ --enable-gnomeui enables GNOME UI support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(sdlui, [ --enable-sdlui enables SDL UI support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(gp2x, [ --enable-gp2x enables GP2X support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(wiz, [ --enable-wiz enables WIZ support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(dingoo, [ --enable-dingoo enables native Dingoo support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(dingux, [ --enable-dingux enables Dingux (Dingoo Linux) support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(nls, [ --disable-nls disables national language support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(realdevice, [ --disable-realdevice disables access to real peripheral devices (CBM4Linux/OpenCBM)])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(ffmpeg, [ --disable-ffmpeg disable FFmpeg library support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(quicktime, [ --enable-quicktime enables Apple QuickTime support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(ethernet, [ --enable-ethernet enables The Final Ethernet emulation])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(ipv6, [ --disable-ipv6 disables the checking for IPv6 compatibility])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(parsid, [ --enable-parsid enables ParSID support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(bundle, [ --disable-bundle do not use application bundles on Macs])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(memmap, [ --enable-memmap enable the memmap feature])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(editline, [ --disable-editline disable history in Cocoa UI's console])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(lame, [ --disable-lame disable MP3 export with LAME])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(static-lame, [ --enable-static-lame enable static LAME linking])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(rs232, [ --disable-rs232 disable RS232 support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(midi, [ --disable-midi disable MIDI support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(embedded, [ --enable-embedded enable embedding of emulation data files])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(hidmgr, [ --disable-hidmgr disable IOHIDManager joystick support on Mac])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(hidutils, [ --disable-hidutils disable HID Uitlities joystick support on Mac])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(debug, [ --enable-debug enable debug source options])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(debug-code, [ --enable-debug-code enable debugging code])

dnl register ReSID(-fp) options here to pass arg checks
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(inline, [ --enable-inline enable inlining of functions [default=yes]])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(arch, [ --enable-arch[[=arch]] enable architecture specific compilation [[default=yes]]], [], [enable_arch=yes])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(sse, [ --enable-sse enable the use of SSE [[default=yes]]])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(no-pic, [ --enable-no-pic enable the use of the no-pic switch [[default=yes]]])

2a) All I know is that i need --SDLUI and --FULLSCREEN to be able to get the resolution i want. --FULLSCREEN makes reference to XFree86. Is XFree86 an XServer or XClient, or is it something completely different?

2b) is GNOMEUI the same component type as SDLUI, or SDLUI the same component as XFree86? i.e Would I be doubling up if I used more than one of these?

3) I am also not sure what these options are and wether they are going to speed up or slow down the system

VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(resid, [ --without-resid do not use the reSID engine])
VICE_ARG_WITH_LIST(residfp, [ --without-residfp do not use the reSID-fp engine])

VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(gnomeui, [ --enable-gnomeui enables GNOME UI support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(sdlui, [ --enable-sdlui enables SDL UI support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(gp2x, [ --enable-gp2x enables GP2X support])
VICE_ARG_ENABLE_LIST(wiz, [ --enable-wiz enables WIZ support])

Thanks in advance guys - I know these are some pretty noob questions but I really appreciate the help