Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a Windows 7 VirtualBox?

Beans

Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a Windows 7 VirtualBox?

Hey everyone,

I have a Windows 7 desktop PC 32-bit. I am looking for a tutorial that will get Unbuntu Server 12.04 running on a Windows 7 VirtualBox. Could I also run the recommended 64-bit Unbuntu Server in a VirtualBox even though I have a Windows 7 32-bit? Could someone please link me to where I could find these tutorials?

Thank you,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu Server 12.04 on a Windows 7 VirtualBox?

Moving to the Virtualisation subform.

Regarding a 64-bit vm guest on a 32-bit host, see: http://askubuntu.com/questions/18076...-a-32-bit-host.

Regarding a tutorial for installing Ubuntu Server 12.04 in a vm on a Windows host, see: http://cybrwrld.blogspot.ca/2012/10/...rtual-box.html.

Beans

Thank you so much! I'll check those out.

EDIT: fix typo.

Beans

I'm sorry but I looked at the 64-bit host link and I read it but I'm confused. I don't know how or what hardware or software to look for to see if it supports it.

Could you or someone please help me?

Beans

I could see no one is trying to help me?

I'm not understanding the VirtualBox thing. I get too many errors such as audio and messages about HOST Keys and Auto Capture Keyboard and Mouse and when I press capture my mouse disappears and I can't make it pass the language screen and my mouse won't work. I don't understand about those errors either.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by php111 View Post
    I could see no one is trying to help me?
    Please be patient - this is a volunteer forum, members are in different timezones and we are not always awake right when you post your request

Quote Originally Posted by php111 View Post
    I'm not understanding the VirtualBox thing. I get too many errors such as audio and messages about HOST Keys and Auto Capture Keyboard and Mouse and when I press capture my mouse disappears and I can't make it pass the language screen and my mouse won't work. I don't understand about those errors either.
    It's hard to give you specific advice here - it sounds like you have successfully installed some kind of guest OS but beyond that what exactly do you need help with? If you're just "not understanding the VirtualBox thing" then there's not much I can suggest except reading the Oracle documentation and experimenting - I'm pretty sure I created and then tossed at least a couple of VMs when I first started, before I got things set up 'right'.

Regarding the 64 versus 32 bits I believe the situation is that you will be able to run a 64 guest (Ubuntu) on a 32 bit Windows host OS provided that the CPU itself is 64 bit and supports hardware virtualization (effectively bypassing the 32-bit restriction of the host OS). The latter is something you may need to enable in BIOS. If you are running an instance of Windows XP Mode (even a long ago hibernated one, or a legacy app that runs in XP Mode) you may need to resurrect and kill that first since it may have 'claimed' the hardware.

Beans

I'm very really sorry for not being patient.

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/2...bian-Ubuntu%29

By looking at that particular guide/tutorial: May yourself or someone tell me if they are using the GUI or the Server without the GUI and what version?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

They are using a GUI (or adding a GUI after install). I'm not quite sure I'd recommend it though, as they have disabled quite a few security features of Fedora and haven't really mentioned much for Debian.

They also are installing Firestarter which conflicts with UFW and is no longer maintained on Ubuntu.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

You can get a ready made Ubuntu 12.04 VirtualBox image here:
    http://virtualboxes.org/images/

Beans

Thank you so very much to everyone,

With the image, all I need to do is create the hard drive using VHD settings and mount the image from that link and use it like the ones from Ubuntu.com, except its already an image for me, right?

If I'm incorrect, then could someone please correct with the proper steps?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast