Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VERY Unhappy System - 12.04

Beans

VERY Unhappy System - 12.04

Just got done a month ago building a 32-bit 12.04 system for my Mom and it seemed pretty bullet-proof (with the exception that the second hard drive used for back-ups is not too great-meant to replace in a month or two), but now the system is completely broken.

Always starts off with an error message about a system problem, Software Center won't launch, Several panes in System Settings won't open. If I attempt to click on one of the problem settings panes and attmpt to close it, the System Settings program keeps reopening and jumping to the front (have to restart to close it). Have run a package check in Recovery mode, but it cannot see anything is wrong and when booting from the live CD it says the system is 'Clean'. I am assuming this must be a corrupt preference file or possibly a permissions problem somewhere.

- Where should I begin? I would rather NOT just rebuild it, but instead find out what is actually wrong.
    - What should I be looking for on the Log file?

Any Help VERY Much Appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beans

Re: VERY Unhappy System - 12.04

What does the "error message about a system problem" say?
    Depending on the problem, that could have a ripple effect that is causing the other symptoms.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is something installed in Ubuntu 12.04 that is detecting those problems but it is disabled from reporting to you. The utility is called Apport. Read about it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Look for the heading 12.04 and Later. You will need to edit the apport configuration file. The instructions are included. Nano is a text editor. There are two Nano commands that you need to know about.

Crtl+O = writeout or save
    Ctrl+X = Exit

With Apport reporting enabled you will get more information about what is crashing.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Did you do your updates after install? That's the first thing I did after install and I also do updates about twice a week just to keep up on any bugs that are fixed or newer versions of things. I've been running 12.04.2 for about a month now and it's been very stable and bullet proof IMHO. Any Op System is only as good as the person taking care of it. Heck, I've got a buddy that swears by (and no AT) Windows 7 but he keeps his anti-virus up to date and puts a lot of work into keeping it running right.
    I'd rather not work that hard, that's why I love Linux. I'm sure you'll figure it out, probably just one or two little tweaks and you'll be back to the good side of things.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    What does the "error message about a system problem" say?
    Depending on the problem, that could have a ripple effect that is causing the other symptoms.
    Thanks for the quick reply! It just says "system program problem detected."

Beans

Red face Re: VERY Unhappy System - 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    There is something installed in Ubuntu 12.04 that is detecting those problems but it is disabled from reporting to you. The utility is called Apport. Read about it.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Apport

Look for the heading 12.04 and Later. You will need to edit the apport configuration file. The instructions are included. Nano is a text editor. There are two Nano commands that you need to know about.

Crtl+O = writeout or save
    Ctrl+X = Exit

With Apport reporting enabled you will get more information about what is crashing.

Regards.
    THANKS! that is exactly what I needed to hear. Will do it immediately. The normal log files just didn't seem to have relevant messages, and they also where not appearing in response to the problems. This should be great.

Beans

I googled "system program problem detected" and found some very helpful links from askubuntu.com; have you tried those fixes yet?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    Did you do your updates after install? That's the first thing I did after install and I also do updates about twice a week just to keep up on any bugs that are fixed or newer versions of things. I've been running 12.04.2 for about a month now and it's been very stable and bullet proof IMHO. Any Op System is only as good as the person taking care of it. Heck, I've got a buddy that swears by (and no AT) Windows 7 but he keeps his anti-virus up to date and puts a lot of work into keeping it running right.
    I'd rather not work that hard, that's why I love Linux. I'm sure you'll figure it out, probably just one or two little tweaks and you'll be back to the good side of things.
    Did all the updates available after installation, but my Mom using it offline over the last few weeks (just doing Gimp & some casual games). After the problems started, did a full dpkg and everything seems to be OK. Am guessing there MUST be some unified cause of this - like a module that all the effected software depends on. Have done 4 other installs and nobody else has had a problem. Really wanting to get this licked.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    I googled "system program problem detected" and found some very helpful links from askubuntu.com; have you tried those fixes yet?
    All I could find was references to the Log file, which has not told me anything, but will go on to try Apport - hopefully that will reveal the issue.

Beans

BTW - Thanks AGAIN for all the quick, helpful time you all took to reply to this. Will let you all know how it goes. I must say after being involved with 15 years of high-level Mac (and some PC) repairs and maintenance, I have never run into such a helpful crowd as all of you. Looking forward to being knowledgeable enough to help-out here myself.

In the meantime, if any of you have a Mac that is being testy, Will gladly help any of you sus-up what is wrong - just email me at: <snip> Have very extensive scripting/hardware & software experience on Mac systems from OS 8.6 to present.
    Last edited by Irihapeti; June 28th, 2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Removed email to stop the spam bots from harvesting it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast