Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu support duration

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Ubuntu support duration

I am reading that Ubuntu 13.04 (and Xubuntu, too) will be supported for _ONLY_ nine months.

Why just 9 months? What after those 9 months? Installing (yet again) the new version? I thought one would be rid of installing a new version every time again (like with Windows), but it seems that Ubuntu (at least) is becoming just like MS Windows. Why not sticking with one version for several years; like LTS editions?

Only nine months. Isn't this, kind of, insane?
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans

Re: Ubuntu support duration

The 9-month support versions are intended for people who like to upgrade every 6 months.

LTS versions are supported 5 years for people who don't like to upgrade every 6 months.

The choice is yours.

Windows is supported many years (XP has been supported since 2001, before Ubuntu even existed!!!) so I don't understand your "Ubuntu is becoming just like MS Windows" analogy at all.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skara Brae View Post
    Why just 9 months?................Only nine months. Isn't this, kind of, insane?
    Perhaps this may explain why : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12701351

EDIT:
    I realized later that that post is perhaps unnecessarily long, so skip to the Third heading "Why is Standard Release Support Period is Short ?"
    Last edited by varunendra; June 26th, 2013 at 09:19 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

I guess the simple answer for the op would be that Ubuntu is released every 6 months.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Windows is supported many years (XP has been supported since 2001, before Ubuntu even existed!!!) so I don't understand your "Ubuntu is becoming just like MS Windows" analogy at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

9 months sounds fair to me. I guess most people running the non-LTS want to upgrade after at most a few months after the next release. 13.10 will be release near the end of October. You can upgrade till somewhere in January 2014 without losing support.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    You are right. I wasn't being very correct there. I take back what I wrote there.

Quote Originally Posted by varunendra View Post
    Thank you, varunendra, that was interesting to read.

I have been reading about the difference between the way Ubuntu and other distros are and the way that, f.e., Debian is. I find the Debian system, where one updates one single version, more user friendly; I have read about problems upgrading from one Ubuntu version to the next, which I luckily never had.

I have always stayed with a LTS edition. If 12.04 hadn't had Unity, I would have gotten 12.04.

Thing is: I am just a very "conservative" guy. I don't like changes. Too often I have seen how changes "broke" my computers - yes, I am talking about Windows now. Even though Ubuntu is Linux, I wouldn't want to "change" to a new edition every n-months. To me, a computer is a means to reach things, not the thing to reach itself (i.e. being busy with upgrading my OS every N-months; I have more pleasant things to do with/at my computers than than, hence the LTS editions).
    Registered Linux User #495429
    --
    AMD Athlon64 4000+ :: Asus A8V Deluxe :: 4 x 512 MB RAM :: Geforce 6600GT :: Xubuntu 10.04/Linux MInt 13 "Mate"/Windows XP Home

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have always stayed with a LTS edition. If 12.04 hadn't had Unity, I would have gotten 12.04.
    I too stick with LTS releases. But Unity is too much for my old hardware, and my first Linux was Xfce, so I'm on Xubuntu 12.04. It's as rock-stable, responsive, and fast as 10.04 was. Sticking to LTS releases is a great long-term solution for "casual users," and Xubuntu is a great solution for those with older computers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peripheral Visionary View Post
    I too stick with LTS releases. But Unity is too much for my old hardware, and my first Linux was Xfce, so I'm on Xubuntu 12.04. It's as rock-stable, responsive, and fast as 10.04 was. Sticking to LTS releases is a great long-term solution for "casual users," and Xubuntu is a great solution for those with older computers.
    How do you handle new hardware that's only supported in newer Linux / Ubuntu versions?

Beans

I have been reading about the difference between the way Ubuntu and other distros are and the way that, f.e., Debian is. I find the Debian system, where one updates one single version, more user friendly; I have read about problems upgrading from one Ubuntu version to the next, which I luckily never had.

Thing is: I am just a very "conservative" guy. I don't like changes. Too often I have seen how changes "broke" my computers - yes, I am talking about Windows now. Even though Ubuntu is Linux, I wouldn't want to "change" to a new edition every n-months. To me, a computer is a means to reach things, not the thing to reach itself (i.e. being busy with upgrading my OS every N-months; I have more pleasant things to do with/at my computers than than, hence the LTS editions).
    You sound like a perfect candidate for the LTS releases.

You would probably also enjoy these distros, which have stable software and long support cycles: Debian, Slackware, CentOS, Scientific Linux.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast