Thread: unity

Beans
    Hidden!

unity

I run gnome but reinstalled the left side icons in unity. But I dont like them so I want to go back. to just gnome. Actually what I would like to do by terminal hopefully is get the absolute bare bones light desktop environment....the lightest and fastest....Dont need half the bling of unity.And I dont mean have hidden stuff running in the background but get rid of everything that isnt part of my desktop.
    what should I do..???

Beans

Re: unity

Quote Originally Posted by ub9876 View Post
    I run gnome but reinstalled the left side icons in unity. But I dont like them so I want to go back. to just gnome. Actually what I would like to do by terminal hopefully is get the absolute bare bones light desktop environment....the lightest and fastest....Dont need half the bling of unity.And I dont mean have hidden stuff running in the background but get rid of everything that isnt part of my desktop.
    what should I do..???
    Go for Xubuntu and be done with it. Or back to older version of Ubuntu like 10.10 if ur computer is a bit older. I think Xubuntu is a great replacement for old style Gnome. Very easy to navigate.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 13.10 Saucy Salamander

From what I understand Gnome 3 is the Unity version and Gnome 2 was the older version. Having never used the Gnome 2 version but having come over from Mac OS X the Gnome 3 Unity version is fairly intuitive to me and reminds me of OS X quite a bit. I did see a program you can install, forget if it was on TeckZilla or HAK5 where you can make your Gnome 3 Unity look like the older Gnome 2 version. You might do a search for it to see if you can come up with it. Good luck.
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TNFrank View Post
    From what I understand Gnome 3 is the Unity version and Gnome 2 was the older version. Having never used the Gnome 2 version but having come over from Mac OS X the Gnome 3 Unity version is fairly intuitive to me and reminds me of OS X quite a bit. I did see a program you can install, forget if it was on TeckZilla or HAK5 where you can make your Gnome 3 Unity look like the older Gnome 2 version. You might do a search for it to see if you can come up with it. Good luck.
    Problem is he doesn't want to adopt the new Unity because of needing to learn all over again. Old gnome is easier to navigate in fact easier then kde. But Xubuntu i found that it's so easy to navigate and tweak if needed. Xubuntu is great out of the box. I do love the new latest Kubuntu with KDE. Also Unity is sloooower then kde or other interface. I think for Gnome replacement is Xubuntu after that KDE but KDE is not easy as old gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by jcer93705 View Post
    Or back to older version of Ubuntu like 10.10 if ur computer is a bit older.
    You can run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the mate desktop environment wich is very lightweight. I have tested it on several older machines, so no need for outdated distro's. Xubuntu and Lubuntu are good as well.

Beans

Install XFCE, log out and log in again:
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca/2013/05/v...ox-ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Gnome 3 and Unity are two different desktop environments. 10.04 is no longer supported. Neither is Gnome 2, although Mate is essentially the same and is supported. It's not in the repos, but it can be installed from a PPA instructions van be found by searching at www.webupd8.net
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi, if you want less blout as you stated you could intall the minimal version of ubuntu but I do not recommend removing packages you will end up breaking ubuntu most likely doing it that way.
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

To install MATE on Ubuntu mini 12.04 Precise:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://packages.mate-desktop.org/repo/ubuntu precise main"
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://repo.mate-desktop.org/ubuntu precise main"
    sudo add-apt-repository "deb http://mirror1.mate-desktop.org/ubuntu precise main"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
    sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment  (or)  sudo apt-get install mate-desktop-environment-extra
    sudo apt-get install caja-gksu caja-sendto mate-bluetooth mate-indicator-applet mate-media-gstreamer mate-text-editor caja-share mate-notification-deamon
    If you like you could Install the MDM login Greeter + themes by LinuxMint (DM)
    Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install mdm mint-mdm-themes
    This should work.