Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Do I need PAE for Ubuntu 10.04?

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Lubuntu is continuing to offer a non PAE 32 bit 13.04
    No, 12.04 was the last.

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    so there are ways to work around the non-PAE issue.
    Yes, here's a guide:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE
    If you install Buntu 17.10 remember to download a new ISO file.

Old files might contain a bug which can damage UEFI hardware. Updating an existing installation and upgrading to 17.10 (if one has faith in upgrades in general) are safe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    How much RAM does your Dell Latitude D600 have? If it's low (512MB, 1GB), it is useless to install Ubuntu 12.04: Ubuntu 12.04 is resource hungry, both in RAM and CPU.
    That's what I was thinking too. I checked and some early versions had 128Mb.

I run kubuntu (KDE desktop) on a 1Gb netbook. I'd never install ubuntu with the unity desktop on it. I have an i3 based 4Gb netbook and I consider ubuntu (unity) too slow on that.

If xubuntu and lubuntu have a 32 bit non pae kernel version install I'd definitely install one of them. Probably lubuntu if it's a 512Gb RAM computer.

Please note: you will have to install version 12.04. According to what I just looked up, both xubuntu and lubuntu have dropped non-pae kernel support in 12.10 and later versions. 12.04 is the long term service version - it's supported until 2017 so that shouldn't be a problem.

This is from https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Lubuntu ...

"We have done many tests and we've found out that Lubuntu can be installed on a Pentium II or Celeron system with 128 MB of RAM, but such a system would not perform well enough for daily use.

With 256MB - 384MB of RAM, the performance will be better and the system will be more usable.

With 512MB of RAM, you don't need to worry much.

The default "Desktop" installer requires 384-800 MB of RAM (depending on selected options.) If you have problems, please use the "Alternate" installer."

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Sayer View Post
    Please note: you will have to install version 12.04. According to what I just looked up, both xubuntu and lubuntu have dropped non-pae kernel support in 12.10 and later versions. 12.04 is the long term service version - it's supported until 2017 so that shouldn't be a problem.
    Everybody, please post only information that you are absolutely sure about.

Lubuntu has no long time support and for Xubuntu long time support means three years, that is until april 2015 for 12.04. A spin-off from Lubuntu 12.04 called LXLE is approaching long-time support, but it is not official.

My recommendation is Lubuntu 13.04 using the workaround I posted above.
    Last edited by mrgs; June 26th, 2013 at 12:55 PM.

Old files might contain a bug which can damage UEFI hardware. Updating an existing installation and upgrading to 17.10 (if one has faith in upgrades in general) are safe.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Everybody, please post only information that you are absolutely sure about.

Lubuntu has no long time support and for Xubuntu long time support means three years, that is until april 2015 for 12.04. A spin-off from Lubuntu 12.04 called LXLE is approaching long-time support, but it is not official.

My recommendation is Lubuntu 13.04 using the workaround I posted above.

A big part of moderating a technical forum, is to correct a post or thread, when opinions are potentially being posted as fact. It seems a lot of this type of monitoring has been missing in recent times here on the forums, and misinformation has been left to stand as gospel, so to speak. It's refreshing to see posts such as yours here. Good job!

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, but everyone is free to post and correct mistakes. Sometimes even mods go offline

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    Thanks, but everyone is free to post and correct mistakes. Sometimes even mods go offline
    That certainly wasn't my experience.

After I woke up one morning, and found myself indentured to a set of forums, I was doomed to a life of Mountain Dew, Hot Pockets, an ankle tether, and an always on connection. It took me several years to plan and execute my escape...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12