Thread: PCmanFM won't copy/move files

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

PCmanFM won't copy/move files

This is an odd one.

PCmanfm simply won't copy or move files. It is otherwise fully functional.

This is true regardless if I use keyboard shortcuts or try to drag files with the mouse. Simply nothing happens.

I tried to start the program with at the terminal so I could get a look at possibly what was happening, but this doesn't work! starting pcmanfm at the terminal works fine, but the command exits and doesn't display info while it's running. I've never seen that before, either.

In any case, I can't recall when this started happening, because the first time it occurred I just didn't think about it enough. Thinking maybe I was trying to do something without permissions, etc. But this is not the case.

I've been using Thunar instead, which works fine, but I'd like to figure this out if possible.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: PCmanFM won't copy/move files

Hello,
    I am having the same problem. It works if I right click and hit copy, right click and paste. But it just doesn't do anything if I drag and drop or use Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V. This is really annoying....

In my case it originally worked and it stopped working after some automatic update of lubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Hey, Good job on finding this thread. I am still working around this issue.

You are in better shape than me. My right clicking doesn't work, either. I can right click, copy; but when I try to copy the file right click paste is grayed out, just like it would if I didn't have permissions for the directory, but this isn't the case.

It's very strange.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furtom View Post
    ...My right clicking doesn't work, either. I can right click, copy; but when I try to copy the file right click paste is grayed out, just like it would if I didn't have permissions for the directory, but this isn't the case.

It's very strange.
    Your symptoms are the same as in this post. Check and see if the solution found applies in your case:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2159027

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a similar problem on several machines. Copy/paste does work but I can't drag/drop.

I'm using Lubuntu 13.04 with PCManFM 1.1.0

I there a simple way of perhaps updating to the latest version, without compiling ?

(that's assuming the bug has been fixed...... )

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, there is.
    Add this ppa:
    https://launchpad.net/~lubuntu-dev/+..._filter=raring
    and then:
    Code:
     sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for the lead. that's got me up to version 1.1.99.0, but unfortunately some problems still persist.

For example, I can drag a file from the PCManFM window to the desktop, but not back.

Within the window, however, I can drag rom the desktop to other directories.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by garethfoxwilliams View Post
    Thanks for the lead. that's got me up to version 1.1.99.0, but unfortunately some problems still persist.

For example, I can drag a file from the PCManFM window to the desktop, but not back.

Within the window, however, I can drag rom the desktop to other directories.
    Are you running Parcellite by any chance?

I had the same issues it that was the culprit. Try exiting out of it and see if your problems don't disappear.

Beans

It's still buggy in Ubuntu 14.04.
    You can use the Copy/Paste from the Edit>pull down menus , they work o.k.
    But sometimes you cannot copy/paste by dragging between panels.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

PCmanfm simply won't copy or move files. It is otherwise fully functional.
    I am not seeing that problem in PCmanFM-Qt. I do not run lubuntu so I do not know for sure, but it may be an option for you.