Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Need some guidance

Ubuntu will have created a extended partition and inside that one for the system and a swap partition
    Anything other than the the C partition can usually be deleted, but you understand it deletes the so called recovery partition. As little use as that is.
    You do need some understanding of this though to proceed.
    And I'd still like to see a view from gparted
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Okay you can enter recovery mode, there should be an option to enter root, that will give you command line access.
    You can use this command to figure out your graphics card:
    Code:
    lspci -v
    scan the output and look for a section that says "VGA compatible controller" and read ahead to figure out what graphics card you have.
    If your graphics card says AMD, then type in this code and paste the output (so i can see if you did install fglrx).
    Code:
     dpkg --get-selections | grep 'fglrx'

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGrey View Post
    Okay you can enter recovery mode, there should be an option to enter root, that will give you command line access.
    You can use this command to figure out your graphics card:
    Code:
    lspci -v
    scan the output and look for a section that says "VGA compatible controller" and read ahead to figure out what graphics card you have.
    If your graphics card says AMD, then type in this code and paste the output (so i can see if you did install fglrx).
    Code:
     dpkg --get-selections | grep 'fglrx'
    Carl uploaded a more detailed photo, hope this helps.

At Grey, I'm about to try those commands now
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thenorm,

There is a 99% chance that those two 'other' partitions are your ubuntu partitions, but as long as you're viewing them from windows you'll never get any detailed info. If you do want to delete your partitions the best course of action is to follow carl's instructions and run gparted from a LiveCD environment.

Beans

Thenorm,

There is a 99% chance that those two 'other' partitions are your ubuntu partitions, but as long as you're viewing them from windows you'll never get any detailed info. If you do want to delete your partitions the best course of action is to follow carl's instructions and run gparted from a LiveCD environment.
    I feel pretty positive they are as well. But I will boot up ubuntu from usb just to double check.

lol, I couldn't figure out how to scroll in that recovery, arrows wouldn't scroll up to view all the output, I just saw Atheros, but i think that has nothing to do with display.

I ran that check - dpkg --get-selection and it showed the two drives in red and 'install' next to them

[edit] I'm scared to run gparted in live ubuntu and mess with the partitions, and not be able to get back into windows, my initial plan was to delete the ubuntu partitions and repair MBR with easy bcd. Then just reinstall ubuntu from there and start 'fresh'.
    Last edited by thenorm; June 25th, 2013 at 08:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Opening gparted in live mode will be fine
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thenorm View Post
    I ran that check - dpkg --get-selection and it showed the two drives in red and 'install' next to them
    Okay since you basically confirmed fglrx (fglrx is the for AMD's proprietary drivers) in your system you can remove them and reset to the open gfx drivers which may fix your black screen issue.

enter root and type in these commands to remove fglrx.
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
    apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup 
    rm -rf /etc/ati
    edit: fixed formatting

Beans

Thank you two for your help! I will try this solution tomorrow. Thanks again guys! This gives me the confidence to keep fiddling with it knowing theres support here like this.

Beans

Okay since you basically confirmed fglrx (fglrx is the for AMD's proprietary drivers) in your system you can remove them and reset to the open gfx drivers which may fix your black screen issue.

enter root and type in these commands to remove fglrx.
    Code:
    apt-get remove --purge fglrx fglrx_* fglrx-amdcccle* fglrx-dev*
    apt-get remove --purge xserver-xorg-video-ati xserver-xorg-video-radeon 
    apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-ati
    apt-get install --reinstall libgl1-mesa-glx libgl1-mesa-dri xserver-xorg-core
    mv /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup 
    rm -rf /etc/ati
    edit: fixed formatting
    Thank you so much! This cleared the black screen issue and now ubuntu will launch to the desktop. Thanks again MidnightGrey!

@Carl or anyone, I uploaded a screenshot of GPART, could one of you confirm the linux partitions? I still may delete, and start from scratch with 13.04 and see if my suspend issue persists.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

The linux partitions are all inside the extended space sda4

You need to tell us what you would best like to achieve
    Ubuntu 18.04

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast