Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some guidance

Beans

Need some guidance

Hello,

I've recently installed ubuntu 12.04 alongside windows 7, and have made a mess of it experimenting and want to now delete the partitions and start from scratch. can someone look at the .jpg i've added and tell me which ones are safe to delete? I know my c:/ is my windows, and that the 25gb part is ubuntu but im not sure what the two are to the right of the ubuntu part. thanks for the help!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Need some guidance

Can you boot Ubuntu and take a screen using gparted
    Because that windows info is next to useless
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

no I can't, see what had happen was. I was messing with the display drivers under additional drivers and installed some new display driver, i believe amd and ubuntu will start and show the ubuntu screen and spit some text on black screen just stay black and never boots to login screen. maybe theres another tool to show them in more detail?

[edit] and no i don't have time to read the text, it doesn't display but a brief second before going off.

Beans

Do you have access to GRUB menu? Can you enter linux recovery mode?

Do you want to fix your ubuntu (i believe it is a case of proprietary drivers failing, which may be a simple fix) or are you just interested in deleting all ubuntu partitions and starting from scratch?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Can you use the live cd to do said same?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MidnightGrey View Post
    Do you have access to GRUB menu? Can you enter linux recovery mode?

Do you want to fix your ubuntu (i believe it is a case of proprietary drivers failing, which may be a simple fix) or are you just interested in deleting all ubuntu partitions and starting from scratch?
    You're right. It's a case of proprietary drivers failing, and i'm a complete ubuntu noob, so in lamen terms could you give me the fix? thank you for the reply! Thanks for your input as well carl, I downloaded another partition manager and saw 3 NSTF partitions and I assume the other two, the 25 gb partition for my ubuntu install, and the 2.74 gb partition is the swap space, i guess? once again thank you guys for your help!

Beans

what graphics card do you have? is it nvidea or amd?

Beans

what graphics card do you have? is it nvidea or amd?
    amd, I believe - using toshiba satellite laptop, series L655D-S5050

[edit] also i can reach ubuntu recovery by holding shift during logo screen.
    Last edited by thenorm; June 25th, 2013 at 07:31 AM.

Beans

Did you try to install something like fglrx? and do you have access to Linux Recovery mode?

Beans

Did you try to install something like fglrx? and do you have access to Linux Recovery mode?
    I can't remember the actual drive, but I remember running the command line to see what my video driver was and it was amd.

I went into system settings and clicked additional drivers, and it was one of the display drivers I activated and updated. When I rebooted to complete the driver installation I was welcomed with a black screen. All this was the cause of me trying to fix a suspend issue

I can reach ubuntu recovery with shift

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast