Thread: Running a command in the middle of reading fstab on boot?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Running a command in the middle of reading fstab on boot?

Is there a way to set a command to be run at a specific part of the boot process, such as right in the middle of mounting drives in the fstab, and have mounting paused until the command returns a 0 exit value?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Running a command in the middle of reading fstab on boot?

I doubt if you can stop fstab in the middle as it is just one command mount that loads it.

But you could remove mounts from fstab if not the main system and load them with a script.

Startup script is:
    /etc/rc.local
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you can let us know exactly what it is you're trying to achieve then there are probably other solutions. As oldfred mentioned above it isn't possible to run a command in the middle of mounting the contents of your fstab.
    Cheesemill

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

My use case is that I have two drives, an SSD as /dev/sda, and a hard drive as /dev/sdb. /dev/sda is currently encrypted, and serves /boot and /. /dev/sdb is also encrypted, and provides /home. there is a key file for /dev/sdb in /root, so I unlocked /dev/sda with a password and /dev/sdb automatically unlocks thereafter.

I'm planning on removing the encryption on /dev/sda when I upgrade here shortly, but I'm trying not to use a password for /dev/sdb. So I've got the idea to keep the key file on my Ironkey, which requires mounting /dev/sr0, running the unlocker, then mounting the now available /dev/sdc, and thereafter mounting the decrypted side of /dev/sdb to /home. (all of this, prior to login, of course)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Another thought occurs, is it possible to have a script run exactly after the fstab is handled, and before anything else?

I could set /dev/sdb and /dev/sdc to 'noauto', and just mount them in a script afterwards.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Bump to see if the last question can be answered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

upstart

You might take a look in /etc/init/mountall.conf to see if that is what mounts everything. If so, you could have it trigger your script.

http://upstart.ubuntu.com/cookbook/