Thread: Resizing window by border not good

Beans

Resizing window by border not good

I find this so frustrating whenever I want to resize a window by grabbing its border. I have to be very accurate, the border seems to be only 1 pixel in thickness. Windows is more forgiving.

Also, the cursors that show the resizing are bad. They indicate that you always want to enlarge the window, which is not always the case. And the fact that majority of the resize cursor appears not in the dead center of the mouse cursor but are offset somewhat makes it more clumsy.

Where does the Linux community find its user interface guys? Seriously.

Anyway, not here to bash about everything, just the things I find so wrong that are so trivial to fix.

Beans

Re: Resizing window by border not good

Copied from a similiar question 3 years ago:
    You'll just have to use a window border theme that has wider borders.

..or hold down the Alt key and use the middle mouse button to resize the window from anywhere inside the window.

(Also note that many themes have a bit extra border at the bottom, so resizing is easier if you grab the window from bottom right or bottom left corner.. Actually it's even quite common for the bottom right corner to have a specific larger area for this purpose.)

Occasionally users complain of this, figure it must be theme related or what version of ubuntu.

Have not seen any problems in a long time in an Ubuntu install using light-themes, resizing is quite easy & has nothing to do with the border size (default is 1px. but the actual resize area is much larger.

Here usually use borderless ambiance, resizing is still quite simple. Can't take a screen shot as the cursor will be shown like normal, attached is a very quick video showing. (due to forum attach limits
    No problem even without any borders at all
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Well, I don't know how to change the default ubuntu theme... there's no option of changing anything.