Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Mir builds for Saucy

Beans

Re: Mir builds for Saucy

Update:

Just had a 'hang': my touchpad could not control the 'real' mouse pointer anymore. The USB mouse could control the big mouse pointer (which is not so useful). I did a CTRL ALT F1, and then a "sudo restart lightdm" which killed the GUI session.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: If Nouveau Works, Will Mir Work?

Ah, that didn't work so well.

Followed the steps at ollie-ries. Things locked up restarting LightDM. Took 3 reboots before LightDM showed up and I could log in. The launcher and the panel weren't there, but the two mouse cursors were.

When I removed and purged Mir, the system booted up into the low-resolution warning. Tried twice to reboot into recovery mode, but couldn't move the cursor or otherwise edit the Grub menu. Got there on the third reboot. Opened a shell and installed an Nvidia driver. Rebooted, into a high-resolution display of the low-resolution warning, and no mouse or keyboard.

C'est la vie. Think I'll wait. Off to reinstall.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    Ah, that didn't work so well.

Followed the steps at ollie-ries. Things locked up restarting LightDM. Took 3 reboots before LightDM showed up and I could log in. The launcher and the panel weren't there, but the two mouse cursors were.

When I removed and purged Mir, the system booted up into the low-resolution warning. Tried twice to reboot into recovery mode, but couldn't move the cursor or otherwise edit the Grub menu. Got there on the third reboot. Opened a shell and installed an Nvidia driver. Rebooted, into a high-resolution display of the low-resolution warning, and no mouse or keyboard.

Install GDM so You could use that install...
    I'm yet to find a route backwards once LightDM from Mir PPA fails... I'm on ATI...
    GDM is good to have either way...

Update₁: Or SlIM, I forgot to mention...
    Last edited by zika; July 1st, 2013 at 01:16 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post

I mentioned here that the instructions for removing mir failed to mention something ...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12711473

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Update:

Just had a 'hang': my touchpad could not control the 'real' mouse pointer anymore. The USB mouse could control the big mouse pointer (which is not so useful). I did a CTRL ALT F1, and then a "sudo restart lightdm" which killed the GUI session.
    If it happens again - it usually does - you could try unplugging the mouse and plugging it back in. You never know, it might be a gentler way of getting things going a gain.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    I mentioned here that the instructions for removing mir failed to mention something ...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12711473
    I'm afraid that that is not a cure for problems given above... It is a step in right direction, but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

So far I have had several non-working installs of the new mir+saucy across different form factors. The best fallback I have found , other than a complete re-install is the btrfs filesystem . I can always get back to my original (or previous) before upgrade of pas to mir. I know it is not a cure but it offers a solution to the downtime involved.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have just put in another saucy+btrfs install from today's ISO image. I am glad to see that Ubiquity is no longer crashing. I have just put in MIR and I have noticed an improvement. The delayed insertion point response in documents has gone. I can type normally. I had to double check that I was on mir. Yes, I do have 2 cursors. By that I mean I still make plenty of typos but I cannot blame MIR/Nouveau.

CORRECTION. Typing is fine. The issue appears whenI backspace. The insertion stops and then jumps one character space. It makes typo correction screamingly difficult.

I do not think that sudo restart lightdm is the correct code even when used with a tty. I got a blackscreen with flashing cursor. Everything fine after a reboot. No low graphic mode. I think that a shutdown and reboot might be bettter. I will test it out.

I am on btrfs because I want to install the various alternative desktops to see how they fair on MIR. So, I may need a rollback method. I have taken a snapshot of the base system. Now to take a snapshot of the base system+mir and then add Xbuntu desktop.

Regards.

UPDATE: This is proving more difficult than I thought. I can find Gnome shell in the saucy software centre but not the desktops of Kubuntu, Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

UPDATE 2: The alternative desktops are in Synaptic. I am now typing this from the Xubuntu desktop on Ubuntu+btrfs+mir. It all seems fine. Log out and log in failed. Got a glimpse of the log in screen then a black screen with the white cursor frozen. Rebooted fine.

UPDATE 3: The Kubuntu broke the reboot. Either that or it is saucy+btrfs playing its usual game of will she, won't she load to a login screen. I rollback to before I install Kubuntu desktop but I messed up the rollback commands and still could not boot. But it is fixed now. I am back in or either Ubuntu or Xubuntu.

UPDATE 4: I tried again. This time with Lubuntu desktop. I am there right now posting this. I have noticed that we do not get the two cursors with llvmpipe (recovery resume) and that Xubuntu plymouth spash screen has taken over. A lot of stuff comes in with each desktop. Lubuntu has added a Lubuntu Nexus 7 to the login options. Now, that is what is called over-compensating.

UPDATE 5: I have just put in Gnome Shell and it also is running on Ubuntu saucy and mir. I am getting a collection of applications. Some are duplicates.

UPDATE 6: Final update for tonight. I am now working on Kubuntu desktop on Ubuntu+btrfs+mir with Unity, Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Gnome Shell & Kubuntu desktops all available form the log in screen.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; July 1st, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Nvidia card, nouveau driver and on 4 saucys all I get is black screen and mouse pointer, think I'll quit for awhile or until some thing new pops up

ps have 32 and 64bit saucy

Beans
    Distro

After just black screen and pointer I did:
    [SeatDefaults]
    #type=unity
    and now flashy orange, yellow and green top and side panels, every nice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast