Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mounting NFS shares hosted from Netapp.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Mounting NFS shares hosted from Netapp.

Trying to mount a few NFS shares on my workstation here.. shares are hosted from our Netapp FAS3020. I have NFS version 2, 3 and 4 enabled on the san, and I have mirrored the NFS export config from other exports that have been working for years. The error I'm getting says Access Denied. Which yeah is most likely a permissions issue but my problem is that I have set 'All Hosts' to R/W access, and the two IP addresses of my workstation are specified under the Root Access part of the export config.

I do not know what else I have to do to get this going..
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

Re: Mounting NFS shares hosted from Netapp.

Here is the exports from the san side. Yeah there's two 'mis' folders because I do not know if capitalization is required or not.

/vol/vol3/MIS -sec=sys,rw,root=10.2.6.53,anon=0
    /vol/vol3/mis -actual=/vol/vol3/MIS,sec=sys,rw,root=10.2.6.53:10.2.6.75,anon=0
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet007 View Post
    Here is the exports from the san side. Yeah there's two 'mis' folders because I do not know if capitalization is required or not.

/vol/vol3/MIS -sec=sys,rw,root=10.2.6.53,anon=0
    /vol/vol3/mis -actual=/vol/vol3/MIS,sec=sys,rw,root=10.2.6.53:10.2.6.75,anon=0
    Show the output from the workstation of this command
    Code:
    showmount -e

Beans
    Distro

I get:
    clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

Odd because when I google that it seems to indicate that nfs isn't running on the 'server'. I'm confused now.
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

Anyone?
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Distro

Ok after installing nfs-kernel-server.. showmount -e worked but only returned this:

Export list for hostname:

Nothing.
    Linux User #447256

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by silverbullet007 View Post
    Ok after installing nfs-kernel-server.. showmount -e worked but only returned this:

Export list for hostname:

Nothing.
    I don't understand what you did. Where did you install nfs-kernel-server? If you installed it on your workstation then the response is correct as there are no filesystems configured for export from your machine. Why did you install an NFS server on your workstation? I thought you were only client of the Netapp Filer's NFS server?

I rather doubt you could get to the Netapp Filer to install anything. Don't you have an admin to help you with this problem? I can help with the Ubuntu client but not Netapp. Is it possible that the server only hosts SMB (CIFS)? Are all the other clients on the network Windows hosts?

Beans
    Distro

I don't understand why this is such a hard problem.. really.

Ok first things first, I installed the nfs-kernel-server based off some googling I was doing while awaiting someone to reply here. It was an off beat attempt to get it working is why. I couldn't find a thing definitive on the showmount error I posted yesterday.

Secondly I am the administrator for this site, granted I will never classify myself as an expert on a Netapp... but I can assure you there is nothing that I need to install on it. The netapp has been hosting 8 NFS shares for years now. FWIW this is the first Ubuntu client that has probably ever attempted to mount them, but the Engineering folks has no trouble with CentOS and Red Hat. I want to use linux but I do not want to use either of those distros if at all possible.

All of the users workstations here are Windows, there are 4 linux-based ProE servers that talk to the netapp via NFS. In my first post or two I explained how I created the NFS share MIS by copying the configuration of the existing NFS shares that work. I cannot be the first person to want to mount NFS from a Netapp.
    Linux User #447256

Beans

Have you tried posting a bug report at: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/nfs-utils/+bugs
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro

Actually no.. I never would have thought it was a bug. I assumed I was doing it wrong.. and actually I've had no one correct me of offer a correct way of mounting NFS shares in fstab. I got this far by googling and that's never a 100% certainty.
    Linux User #447256

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast