Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Launcher placement annoys me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Launcher placement annoys me

Quote Originally Posted by argvar View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, I want my system to be configured so it's easy to maintain, I don't want to hack it to get what I want.
    It's not a "hack". It's exactly what the system was designed for. Freedom. A lot of very easy options are there for a reason. Open the Software Center, find the DE, click install, and then select that DE at next login.

Of course, that freedom also means the freedom to choose not to, and I respect that. It also includes the freedom to choose another system altogether if you're terribly unhappy with it (and judging from a couple of your threads, you are).

If it's support you're looking for, many suggestions to rectify your annoyance have been made. If you're just looking to gripe, support forums are not the place.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

My desktop isn't a TV or a phone. Why treat it as such? This is such a huge mistake.

As for the horizontal screen real estate vs. vertical screen real estate... if this were true then why is there a horizontal bar at the top that is 90% empty most of the time and seems to serve no role other than displaying a couple of icons?

The design decisions are really questionable.

Well I have to say I do agree with you that I dont like the fact the launcher in unity is locked down.
    But its still easy to use, just because its not on the bottom doesnt mean its impossible to use, its more of adjusting to it.
    If you dont like it, well why not give Kubuntu a shot?
    Kubutu is based off KDE, a desktop that looks, works and feels like windows.
    Obviously you seem to be having issues with getting used to a new interface, so why not use seomething that looks like what you used before?
    There is also linux mint, Zorin OS, Netrunner, all offer a windows like experience for the new user.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Hi, I use awn for my launcher and I have it at the bottom but I can put it anywhere I want it to be.

You can use another desktop very easily, like xubuntu, you do not have to use unity it is not for everyone.

The whole point of linux is you can customize it like you want it but you have to do a little research.

If I do not know how to do something I google it and usually get my answer.

Beans

Thanks but no thanks, I want my system to be configured so it's easy to maintain, I don't want to hack it to get what I want.
    Then try Xubuntu. The dock is on the bottom of the screen. No "hacking" needed.

Why is it that whenever there's a trivial issue in Linux, you need like to configure the whole system totally differently? Get a new windowing system, get a new compiler and kernel, configure this and that. Not the friendliest approach.
    Not true.
    I want to believe the launcher will eventually be permitted to be placed at the bottom, anything else is just absurd.
    Maybe it will, maybe it won't. But if Unity bothers you so much, feel free to use something else. It's not a crime to go back to windows, really, it's OK.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Or you could simply add Cairo Dock...it is super compatible with ubuntu and in fact the one that is in the software center even has for it's default, an ubuntu themed version...It's dock is on the bottom and it autohides...and it also creates a "session" which you can log into at your log in screen in ubuntu, and when you go into cairo dock session you can have it with the unity panel (global menu panel) or without the global menu on the top panel, and there is no unity dock in that session...

The Cairo Dock in ubuntu looks like the first picture you will see on this page link (and there are other looks it can be changed to)
    http://www.glx-dock.org/
    I use to use it and it was pretty cool, but reverted back to using unity because i like it best myself
    Last edited by craig10x; June 26th, 2013 at 06:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm with you, craig10x. Used to use Cairo-Dock, but switched back to Unity. I should add that it's also very well supported. I once posted a problem I was having with it here in the forums, looking for a solution. A C-D developer responded right away, and within a couple days, they had sent an update with a fix down the pike. Needless to say, I was more than a little impressed.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Or you could simply add Cairo Dock...it is super compatible with ubuntu and in fact the one that is in the software center even has for it's default, an ubuntu themed version...It's dock is on the bottom and it autohides...and it also creates a "session" which you can log into at your log in screen in ubuntu, and when you go into cairo dock session you can have it with the unity panel (global menu panel) or without the global menu on the top panel, and there is no unity dock in that session...

The Cairo Dock in ubuntu looks like the first picture you will see on this page link (and there are other looks it can be changed to)
    http://www.glx-dock.org/
    I use to use it and it was pretty cool, but reverted back to using unity because i like it best myself
    Cairo dock pleases me!

Now, I only need to get rid of this Unity stuff.
    And customize the top bar.. or get rid of it entirely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, when you go into Cairo Dock Session, Unity isn't there...and there really is no need to need to knock it out, so if i was you i would leave that alone and just log into cairo dock session...once you do, it will always default to that session unless you switch it again on the log in screen...

As far as the top panel, you have a choice of global menu panel or non global menu (but remember global menu panel is more space saving!)...as far as removing the panel, i think you will just have to live with it...
    I think the global version is the least intrusive...and as i said, it does save screen real estate...when you web browser is open, what would be the top section of the browser is incorporated into it, as i am sure you have noticed...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Well, when you go into Cairo Dock Session, Unity isn't there...and there really is no need to need to knock it out, so if i was you i would leave that alone and just log into cairo dock session...once you do, it will always default to that session unless you switch it again on the log in screen...

As far as the top panel, you have a choice of global menu panel or non global menu (but remember global menu panel is more space saving!)...as far as removing the panel, i think you will just have to live with it...
    I think the global version is the least intrusive...and as i said, it does save screen real estate...when you web browser is open, what would be the top section of the browser is incorporated into it, as i am sure you have noticed...
    I've been trying out the Cairo Dock. It looks nice.

Anyway, obviously, I don't want the unity launchpad AND the Cairo Dock at the same time. I logged with Cairo Dock instead of Ubuntu Unity. Problem with that is all sorts of features are gone and other problems pop up... ALT-TAB no longer works! I only see one screen in the workplaces. Some applications don't have any icons.

Bleh... I'm back to Ubuntu's default Unity... or I hope at least... I've been installing and removing tons of stuff, have no idea how to get back to anything "default".

I simply can't be bothered with this anymore, gonna do something else with my time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Linux is not to everyones taste.
    Good Luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast