Thread: ubuntu 12.04 - how to monitor amount of time spent and sites visited

Beans

ubuntu 12.04 - how to monitor amount of time spent and sites visited

We have a number of WiFi devices (laptops, cellphones and some iThis and iThat) at home. I want to monitor which device, when, the length of time spent and the sites visited everyday by my children. A log at the end of the day is fine as long as it is in human readable form. I am less concerned with the content that they access than with when and for how long. All devices access the internet through a Linksys E4200 router. I have named all devices using the Linksys software (on the windows side of my dual boot). I may be missing a trick, but the router appears NOT to have the capability that I am seeking. I block WiFi access when I need to but that is not the best solution for me.

Any suggestions? Any readily available tools or something that I can hack together as long as it is simple.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: ubuntu 12.04 - how to monitor amount of time spent and sites visited

Will your children be fully aware you are observing their activity in this way?

Beans

Yes - they will be aware. I am not as much concerned about what they watch as much as when and for how long. I currently have the ability to cut off their internet when I want but there are legitimate uses for homework and when they should be doing homework related work I don't want them to be watching some kid stuff video as a distraction. My objective is to periodically have a discussion about their use of time.

I also ask in all sincerity why does this trigger a moderator's intervention. Sorry, I am new to the forum and my apologies if that comes across as rude.

Beans

Moderators participate in these discussions like any other member.

If you are talking largely about web traffic, the only manageable solution I can think of is called a "transparent proxy server." I suggest you take a look at Dan's Guardian. Though it is primarily designed to filter content, it might also have what you are looking for.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Black MacBook C2D 2.16 Ghz - 160 Gb. - 1 GB Ram.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not intervening, just asking like any other member, which is what I, and every other staff member, was and still are. We just happen to be staff also. Staff are not storm troopers here.

Simply curious.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

unless the router can do what you want then indeed the only other option is a proxy server that willlog the access. the access will then go via that server and then on to the router.

are you sure lyncsys router can't log activities? well i have a localy made modem/router and it logs only how much data was transfered. and even that is lost on reboot.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Thank you for your suggestions and your patient explanation of a moderator's role.

I will check http://dansguardian.org/. It is probably going to be next weekend. I have a more immediate problem that I need to solve and will start another thread with a relevant subject line.