Just downloaded 13.10 to give it a try in VB. Here are some points that could IMHO be improved.
I follow Lubuntu since some time and love how things got better the in past releases.
- At the first login the user name drop-down default is empty → should display a name.
- Window close buttons are too small mouse targets for average users - make the title bar vertical bigger or increase the padding between the close buttons to increase the clickable-area (maybe redesign the buttons).
- Everything in Lubuntu is kind of filigree, but AbiWord & Gnumeric uses IMHO too much padding (a typical Gnome problem).
- Resizing a window looks broken → the gray bold border.
- I miss a 'reset to defaults' button in the main desktop preferences dialog - be average user friendly ^^
- 'Network Devices' is too hidden and should be acceptable in the left navigation panel.
- The 'Find Files' dialog is too hidden and too nerdy. Shift+Ctrl+F is also a uncommund shortcut for file search.
- Maybe always show the tab bar and move the new tab button right into the open tab, like in Firefox. This would clean up the UI a bit (why??? is the new-tab-button so prominent at the left side of the file manager tool bar?).
- There is a small white line above the 'Places' side panel → seems like a bug.
- Maybe remove the desktop-switcher by default and add a Software-Center starter to the bottom panel.
- Application Menu:
- Why is 'Document Viewer' in graphics and office?
- System Tools & Preferences are still some what confusing, its hard to guess where to find which functionality - I always have to look into both -> bad.
- The 'Run' entry in the application menu is useless. Average users will "never" use it and power user will use ALT+F2 or install another launcher.
- Lubuntu still flickers. I can't really say where and why, but it flickers.
Lubuntu becomes more and more awesome. There are here and there some rough edges but nothing really disturbing. The icon theme looks modern and gives it a nice touch.
PS: Kupfer preinstalled would enhance Lubuntu's keyboard navigation a lot