First off, I got this computer from here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883258040
Secondly, I've never used, or even seen, any Linux systems before.

So there's your frame of reference.

Now, I'm not a complete idiot. It's been a while since I've messed with any computer stuff, but I know it's a good skill to have. That's why I wanted to get into Linux. As far as my experience, I've pulled a few towers apart and added memory and modems. I've also taken (and passed) Jave and C programming classes in school, as well as a few other engineering/math related program languages. Taught myself HTML before that. So I'm not a complete idiot, just a regular one. I don't play well with Mac/Apple, and I don't like the new Windows/Microsoft stuff. My 10 year old Dell laptop was crap when new, and has run its course several times. This began the search for a new machine.

I know the machine I got is not the greatest. I don't do any gaming. Mostly internet surfing, forums, and the occasional video. So far, it's doing the trick. I contacted Avatar to get the Administrator/Root passoword so I can create a user account for myself. I've read enough to know I don't want to go screwing around on the root account. I tried the LTerm deal, then the CTRL+ALT+F1 thing to no avail... and started hitting buttons until CRTL+ALT+F6 (I think) got me out of it.

All that being said, I'm really liking this stuff. Hopefully I can learn to use it to it's full potential soon. I studied Mechanical Engineering, not this black magik voodoo computer stuff. Bear with me while I figure this it out. (I've gotten lazy and am still adapting to no spell check features. Excuse any errors and rest assured that they annoy me more than they annoy you.)