Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu full time now!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu full time now!

No problem linuxlovin...we are always glad to see enthusiastic users of ubuntu (even if it's one of it's variants, as it were) we were just trying to get across that it isn't a real biggie...
    And in fact, can easily be turned off in the privacy settiings...like monkeybrain2012, i also turn mine off for much the same reason he does (i just find the ads a bit distracting) and what i do instead is
    occasionally send a donation to canonical...Unfortunately, i think all the recent stuff regarding the NSA and violation of privacy has caused many to over-react in situations like the ubuntu shopping lens and kind of blow them way out of proportion....

By the way, just for your information, turning off the online searches in "dash search" doesn't cause any problems to ubuntu (i have had it in off since i installed in April and have never noticed any problems)...Personally i like the unity dock, global menu and the dash search because they remind me of the mac (which i used for about a year after dumping windows but before discovering linux)...to me, it has a very mac-ish feel which i happen to like a lot...
    Last edited by craig10x; June 23rd, 2013 at 03:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I recently just made the hop over to all of my personal machines being Ubuntu.

The PRISM stuff is what prompted me to look into Ubuntu. What actually got me to switch was the fact that I actually had AMD driver support and my desktop experience didn't have to be handicapped anymore.

It's been fairly positive since the switch. I've found alternatives for all my Windows software, except my visual and graphics editors (Photoshop, Fireworks, InDesign). The open source alternatives just don't really hold a torch to the Adobe suite, but I just finished my first commercial web project using Ubuntu and the increased time due to the totally new workflow wasn't bad, at all.

I'm really enjoying how much polish there is on 12.04 through 13.04 (only ones I've used since I've made the hop) compared to the versions I had tried some 5 years ago or so. I don't get any funny errors or popups anymore, my AMD performs well, no problems with flash or anything. As odd as it is for me to say this, I'm actually using an Ubuntu desktop and having absolutely zero of those weird issues that always plagued me before.

Just switched over the wife's brand new HP Envy Touch, too. Works great out of the box with 13.04, and looks gorgeous. Think we found a new home, as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    I think Clementine, Guayadeque, Amarok all support shoutcast though I never tried. I don't know about rthymbox though.
    IMHO guayadeque is far and away the best for streaming shoutcast radio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm completely switched over to Ubuntu as well with 4 computers in my fleet. I absolutely love it since the switch. The biggest problem switching from MS products is trying to find all the software you used on MS OS's with a bit of time and effort you can hunt down every single program on Google and hop on the repository and install your software. As time wears on and you get more comfortable about Linux it will become second nature. Like going over to a friends place and using Windows seems very foreign now to me.
    Michael Nelson -=- AKA: Mopar1973Man

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Personally I would not let this NSA crap scare you, forget about it, let them snoop yah.
    There are more of us then them.
    lol! Love your reply! Anyways, it doesn't scare me, I'm just not rolling over and using the big companies and web services anymore, kind of like a vote.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    No problem linuxlovin...we are always glad to see enthusiastic users of ubuntu (even if it's one of it's variants, as it were) we were just trying to get across that it isn't a real biggie...
    And in fact, can easily be turned off in the privacy settiings...like monkeybrain2012, i also turn mine off for much the same reason he does (i just find the ads a bit distracting) and what i do instead is
    occasionally send a donation to canonical...Unfortunately, i think all the recent stuff regarding the NSA and violation of privacy has caused many to over-react in situations like the ubuntu shopping lens and kind of blow them way out of proportion....

By the way, just for your information, turning off the online searches in "dash search" doesn't cause any problems to ubuntu (i have had it in off since i installed in April and have never noticed any problems)...Personally i like the unity dock, global menu and the dash search because they remind me of the mac (which i used for about a year after dumping windows but before discovering linux)...to me, it has a very mac-ish feel which i happen to like a lot...
    Yeah, I just tried running 64 bit xubuntu with terrible results. For the time being, I reinstalled full ubuntu, installed Xubuntu desktop and removed all the unity, zeitgiet and ubuntu desktops via "psychocats" blog. So far so good, but we'll see.

As far as over reacting? Maybe people shouldn't over react with Ubuntu (Like I have), but it's good to question every thing in detail. As far as the big web companies, sites and isp's? I think people (At this point anyways) are under reacting. I say vote with your feet! Or your browser and browsing habits. Change comes when enough people make it happen rather than just "Taking it".

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    I recently just made the hop over to all of my personal machines being Ubuntu.

The PRISM stuff is what prompted me to look into Ubuntu. What actually got me to switch was the fact that I actually had AMD driver support and my desktop experience didn't have to be handicapped anymore.

It's been fairly positive since the switch. I've found alternatives for all my Windows software, except my visual and graphics editors (Photoshop, Fireworks, InDesign). The open source alternatives just don't really hold a torch to the Adobe suite, but I just finished my first commercial web project using Ubuntu and the increased time due to the totally new workflow wasn't bad, at all.

I'm really enjoying how much polish there is on 12.04 through 13.04 (only ones I've used since I've made the hop) compared to the versions I had tried some 5 years ago or so. I don't get any funny errors or popups anymore, my AMD performs well, no problems with flash or anything. As odd as it is for me to say this, I'm actually using an Ubuntu desktop and having absolutely zero of those weird issues that always plagued me before.

Just switched over the wife's brand new HP Envy Touch, too. Works great out of the box with 13.04, and looks gorgeous. Think we found a new home, as well.
    That's awesome man! If you got time, check out the security discussion section of the forum, a must read a very informative. Also, if your concerned about the prism stuff, just don't use any of the companies who support it. Switch search engines and find alternative email stuff. Is the alternatives safe? I think know one truly knows, but it's the votes that count.

I to recruit people to linux and like yourself have been able to find decent alternative software.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by markbl View Post
    IMHO guayadeque is far and away the best for streaming shoutcast radio.
    Thanks, I'll try it right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
    I'm completely switched over to Ubuntu as well with 4 computers in my fleet. I absolutely love it since the switch. The biggest problem switching from MS products is trying to find all the software you used on MS OS's with a bit of time and effort you can hunt down every single program on Google and hop on the repository and install your software. As time wears on and you get more comfortable about Linux it will become second nature. Like going over to a friends place and using Windows seems very foreign now to me.
    Yeah, I was a "Windows xp" head for the longest. These new windows versions seem foriegn to me! lol And you're right, as time wears on it does get easier, just a learning curve.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxlovin View Post
    Thanks, I'll try it right now.
    Same as before.... It's not like winamp that loads all the stations and such, instaed I have (Hopefully) find a playlist. I can't see why devolopers can't create an engine that just pops up the station according to searched genre or even show a list of genres to choose from. Unless I'm overlooking something. I will work with this program some more and see what I can come up with.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast