Thread: Is it possible to install the "actual" Ubuntu OS on the Nexus 10?

Beans

Is it possible to install the "actual" Ubuntu OS on the Nexus 10?

Well, the title kinda says it all. I have seen videos on YouTube of people running the actual Ubuntu Unity Desktop on the Nexus 7 ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlJ4yjUlBw0 ) but could not find any videos or even tutorials or blog articles about people installing it on the Nexus 10. Maybe there are some but are drowned by the flood of the Ubuntu for Phone thingie on the Nexus 10.
    Last edited by SuperQuickish; June 27th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Is it possible to install the "actual" Ubuntu OS on the Nexus 10?

The answer is in the link -- if it's not listed under Devices, you can't do it: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Touch/Install
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

This is exactly what I DON'T mean but keep finding. I do not want to install the Ubuntu Touch Developer's Preview but the actual (X/K)Ubuntu Unity Desktop ( see linked YouTube video ).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Caonical is not building three versions of Ubuntu, One for the desktop, one for the phone and one for the tablet. No. Canonical already has Ubuntu for the desktop. What is needs now is a user interface for phones and tablets. And that is where deveopment work is being targetted. But note this
    Today’s tablets are as powerful as ultra-light laptops. Ubuntu uniquely supports a new category of convergence device – add a keyboard and mouse and your Ubuntu tablet becomes a full PC and thin client, with access to Windows apps over standard protocols from Microsoft, Citrix, VMware and Wyse. That lets enterprise IT deploy a single, secure, portable corporate device for all kinds of applications.

Since it is pure Ubuntu, the tablet can be managed via Landscape, giving enterprises complete control over the users, apps, updated and access using the same tool they
    use for Ubuntu servers and desktops today.
    That is the target for April 2014. Ubuntu Superphone. The work being done on the developer preview will make it possible to install Ubuntu on devices like the Nextus 10.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Caonical is not building three versions of Ubuntu, One for the desktop, one for the phone and one for the tablet.

I understand, but there obviously is an ARM version of the Ubuntu Desktop that seems to run on the Nexus 7 ( see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7 ) and I would like to know if this is also possible on the Nexus 10. I am desperate to replace Android with Linux but "proper" Linux and not the developer preview of the Ubuntu Touch; UNLESS the developer preview of Ubuntu Touch comes with a terminal and apt-get and everything required to install something like XFCE or Gnome as there are ARM builds of those desktop environments.

What are the odds of being able to successfully replicate the Nexus 7 installtion process on the Nexus 10 and get it working more-or-less?
    Last edited by SuperQuickish; June 28th, 2013 at 04:45 PM.