Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz wall edge flip

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Compiz wall edge flip

On Ubuntu 12.04 (Compiz 0.9.7.12) I use the wall plugin and checked all the boxes for 'edge flipping' in ccsm as well as setting the key bindings (attached)

I have seen a bug report on this https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...iz/+bug/771448 (which is old but apparently still not resolved in 12.04) but my experience is somewhat different and kind of strange. It is not that the flipping doesn't work, but it is rather sporadic so that sometimes it works perfectly and other times not at all. This morning there was a compiz update (i think from proposed) and now I am in version 0.9.7.12. When first boot up, edge flipping doesn't work at all. Then when the computer has been on for a while (maybe an hour or 45 minutes..) then it starts working but only partially (only right flip works), then wait a bit longer it is working perfectly now. I tried reboot several times and the same thing happened all the time: at first not working at all, then started working on and off in only one direction, then waited for about an hour and it totally worked.

Does anyone have a theory of what is happening and the status of this bug? (fixed, not fixed, fixed a little bit) Thanks.
    '
    Edited: I should clarify that I didn't fiddle with or even launch ccsm at any point. Edge flip just kind of started working spontaneously after a while.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 25th, 2013 at 12:25 AM.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Re: Compiz wall edge flip

Ok, I found a work around, now desktop wall edge flip is enabled on start reliably. Basically this is the same solution for fixing scale addon in 12.04 (found that one on AskUbuntu). Open gconf-editor, go to apps > compiz-1 > general > screen0 > options and edit the active plugin list so that wall should be down on the list, but it doesn't have to be at the very bottom. I have it ahead of scale and scale addon and all work. Now of course you have to enable edge flipping in ccsm in the first place (may need to set the bindings as well, see attached screenshot above)

Hope it may help someone having the same issue.

Really, all these are fixed in newer releases of Compiz (raring and quantal(?))and the fixes should be backported to the LTS. I am not sure what is the point of offering to "upgrade" to just another known broken version.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 25th, 2013 at 12:24 AM.

Beans

Ok, apparently edge flip is broken again in 13.10 and the work around above doesn't work any more. Any suggestion??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Ok, apparently edge flip is broken again in 13.10 and the work around above doesn't work any more. Any suggestion??
    Works here on 13.10 x64, Compiz 1:0.9.10+13.10.20131011-0ubuntu1. I did have this bug in 13.04 though.

Beans

Don't use Wall here (rotate), but set up a new user & edge fipping works fine in wall.
    The only thing was it wasn't default enabled for that new user, after enabling works fine

Beans

If I logout and log back in then it works, but on boot up it doesn't.

Beans

If I logout and log back in then it works, but on boot up it doesn't.
    Always seems to be something with edge fipping..
    This time here in 13.10 with rotate it works fine, but if i disable grid it breaks. Re-enable grid it works again. So for the moment will leave grid.
    Probably could dump grid & get working somehow, either unset & reset or what's usually effective is to disable 'automatic plugin sorting' in compiz

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    either unset & reset or what's usually effective is to disable 'automatic plugin sorting' in compiz
    How do you disable 'automatic plugin sorting'?

Edit: Ok, found it in ccsm.Will see if this works.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; October 20th, 2013 at 05:30 AM.

Beans

Hi, mc4man,

It is working. I unchecked 'automatic plugin sorting' in ccsm (under Preferences) and manually put wall and the bottom on the right panel and then restarted Ubuntu, edge flip has been working consistently since. Thanks!

Beans

Hi, mc4man,

It is working. I unchecked 'automatic plugin sorting' in ccsm (under Preferences) and manually put wall and the bottom on the right panel and then restarted Ubuntu, edge flip has been working consistently since. Thanks!
    The only thing to beware of when plugin sorting is disabled is that there is no conflict resolution in compiz when adding plugins & or changing bindings
    However not a big deal if one pays attention or enables before changes, then disable.
    If 14.04 decides to stick with unity7 & compiz for desktop installs I may look at why this nonsense occurs & how does compiz order plugins when auto loading

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast