Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When did Xubuntu become so awesome?

Beans

When did Xubuntu become so awesome?

Seriously when did it become so awesome?

It's like the developers gave up on ubuntu and kubuntu secretly to develop and polish xubuntu behind the scenes. Everything from the installer to the default desktop is in my opinion more asthetically pleasing and usable then its ubuntu counterparts. Currently hasn't crashed once yet, which is unusual for my past experience with linux.

Originally installed it on an extra computer for a beginner file/web server project of mine, now its on my desktop computer aswell.

Bravo Xubuntu development team!!

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but testemonial subforum is closed

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: When did Xubuntu become so awesome?

Xubuntu is definitely nice.

But Kubuntu.org, Xubuntu.org and Lubuntu.org are completely different organizations. Kubuntu.org hasn't given up their developers to Xubuntu.org.

And I don't think Canonical has given up on Ubuntu development.

Last edited by QIII; June 22nd, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I was under the impression that it is only the main edition of ubuntu (ubuntu with unity) that is worked on now directly by the Canonical developers....aren't the variants (kubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu) "community" type distros that are worked on by separate volunteer developers?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I was under the impression that it is only the main edition of ubuntu (ubuntu with unity) that is worked on now directly by the Canonical developers....aren't the variants (kubuntu/xubuntu/lubuntu) "community" type distros that are worked on by separate volunteer developers?
    Yes. Only Ubuntu is developed by Canonical.

But the answer the question of the thread is this:
    Xubuntu became awesome(r) when gnome2 was killed.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

It was a joke xP

Basically I've been tweaking out and installed probably over 10 distributions trying to find which one I like best, all of which were either Gnome or KDE centric. Kinda like a guitarist trying to find the right pedal, just the right tone. Not once did I consider Xfce as a option, until now.

Also Xubuntu becoming awesome when gnome2 was killed makes alot of sense actually xD

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post

Also use Xubuntu, love it, and agree. The rate at which "third party" devs are contributing to Xubuntu reminds me of Gnome 2 just before it was axed. The more people use a DE, the more the knowledgeable among them want to develop for it. Two nice additions: Theme Configuration and XFCE Theme Manager. The other additions are all the nice applets that are beginning to show up.

All in all, Gnome Shell was the best thing that ever happened to Unity, Luna OS, Cinnamon, Pear OS, Deepin, XFCE, Lubuntu, etc... Xubuntu may have benefited the most, though.

It's going to be interesting. XFCE has a reputation for being lightweight. With more users and success, there's going to be a push for more features.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I'd have to agree with that, Xubuntu just got better with each release after that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    It's going to be interesting. XFCE has a reputation for being lightweight. With more users and success, there's going to be a push for more features.
    One can only hope and pray the devs keep a level head and xfce retains it's character.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    Also use Xubuntu, love it, and agree. The rate at which "third party" devs are contributing to Xubuntu reminds me of Gnome 2 just before it was axed. The more people use a DE, the more the knowledgeable among them want to develop for it. Two nice additions: Theme Configuration and XFCE Theme Manager. The other additions are all the nice applets that are beginning to show up.

All in all, Gnome Shell was the best thing that ever happened to Unity, Luna OS, Cinnamon, Pear OS, Deepin, XFCE, Lubuntu, etc... Xubuntu may have benefited the most, though.

It's not just good developers who moved on to xfce and Xubuntu, but good testers as well.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Yes- Xubuntu (and Xfce) are seeming very polished. Although I have been using KDE on my more powerfull machines, Xubuntu runs great on an old Dell Inspiron 8600 I have. I also have a first generation Acer Aspire One (the linux version), that it works perfectly on. My only complaints are a few missing apps (Firefox, Vlc), and the default panel layout. Both of these are easy to fix.

Also, if anyone doesn't already know: "sudo apt-get install xubuntu-restricted-extras" installs a bunch of useful stuff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast