Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu 13.04

Forget the discs and install from a USB ..I've just installed 12.04 LTS and threw away half a dozens discs before I wised up

Beans

I had to use a usb stick to install on my newest machine since it's a netbook and doesn't have an optical drive. Now I'll never install from cd/dvd again. A usb stick is much faster.

I've never installed using the download updates while installing method. Though you want to run the live cd first to make sure everything more or less works first. I just install the cd and then run system update after. If you lost your connection while updating during installation ... it doesn't sound pretty to me.

Beans

Thank you very much for this information. It says a lot!

I'm thinking of trying 12.04 or 12.10 (?) any thoughts on 10?

also I'm wondering if it's possible to install the desktop version and a server together?

Thank you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by d1lu5ion View Post
    I'm thinking of trying 12.04 or 12.10 (?) any thoughts on 10?

also I'm wondering if it's possible to install the desktop version and a server together?

Thank you.
    You're welcome!

I don't see the point in trying 12.10. 12.04 has all the good parts of 12.10 (in the form of updates or optional packages).

You can install the desktop version and then install the server packages on it as required (if you need only some functionality of the server).

Or you can install the server version (will be text-only) and then install "ubuntu-desktop" meta-pacakge (or individual packages as required) if you need only 'some' features of the desktop and a gui.

Yet another option may be to install both on separate partitions if you just want to test them or use them alternately.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by BNZBKK View Post
    Forget the discs and install from a USB ..I've just installed 12.04 LTS and threw away half a dozens discs before I wised up
    Booting from a live USB is faster -- if your machine will support it. Older machines may not. It also seems to depend on the USB drive. My experience is that not all USB drives are bootable on all machines. I bought a USB CD/DVD drive and have never had that fail to boot a bootable disk.

Beans

I was able to install it using the cd. I've installed the desktop 12.04. How do I go about of installing the server for this as well?

Beans

Anyone know how to do this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Just use Ubuntu Software Center or apt-get to install the server packages you want. If you want a web server, you can install Apache. If you want a file sharing server, you can install system-config-samba and that will ensure you have the Samba server and an easy program for setting it up.

When you install a server package, it automatically starts up. No need for a reboot, it will always be on when your computer is on.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; June 28th, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Just use Ubuntu Software Center or apt-get to install the server packages you want. If you want a web server, you can install Apache. If you want a file sharing server, you can install system-config-samba and that will ensure you have the Samba server and an easy program for setting it up.

When you install a server package, it automatically starts up. No need for a reboot, it will always be on when your computer is on.

Thanks, I'm trying to build a website server / music server. Can I do this with the software center? or do I need to search for a server to install? like ubuntu server 12.04 (example)

Beans

Anyone know if ubuntu software center will allow me to do this? When I tried looking for "server" I see things related to servers but I'm not sure which one to use..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast