Thread: Dual passwords?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Dual passwords?

Is there a way I can hack my Ubuntu desktop install to have two passwords where one logs me in like normal and the other say logs me into another user or preforms some action?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Dual passwords?

Hi kr651129.

Not really. However, that exact same thing can be accomplish creating another user, and choosing between them at login time.

Just a thought.
    Regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Oh I know, I'm just in a creative mood today wanted to do some coding/hacking didn't know if that was something that had already been done. Is there a way to hide a username at the login screen?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by kr651129 View Post
    Oh I know, I'm just in a creative mood today wanted to do some coding/hacking didn't know if that was something that had already been done. Is there a way to hide a username at the login screen?
    Assuming you are using Unity, this might be helpful:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM#Hiding_the_User_List
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

By default, Ubuntu's root account comes with no password (to prevent you from accidentally logging in as root). However, it is quite easy to create a root password:

Code:
    sudo passwd
    Now, you can log in as either your regular account, or the root account. (However, lightdm might need additional configuration to allow login as root. Go ahead and try it. You can always log into a tty as either user by pressing ctl+alt+f1 through ctl+alt+f6. (lightdm is usually on ctl+alt+f7 or ctl+alt+f8.))

By default, sudo asks you for the password of the current account you are logged into. However, sudo can be configured to ask for the root password instead:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Root_password

Be careful when modifying /etc/sudoers. Before modifying it, create a root password so that you can use su in case something goes wrong. (su always asks for the root password and is entirely separate from sudo.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by KlipperKyle View Post
    By default, Ubuntu's root account comes with no password (to prevent you from accidentally logging in as root). However, it is quite easy to create a root password
    True, but it is normally a bad idea to login to the GUI as root.

I would say you have given enough warning about enabling the root account, but please keep this in mind.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by KlipperKyle View Post
    By default, Ubuntu's root account comes with no password (to prevent you from accidentally logging in as root). However, it is quite easy to create a root password:

Code:
    sudo passwd
    Now, you can log in as either your regular account, or the root account. (However, lightdm might need additional configuration to allow login as root. Go ahead and try it. You can always log into a tty as either user by pressing ctl+alt+f1 through ctl+alt+f6. (lightdm is usually on ctl+alt+f7 or ctl+alt+f8.))

By default, sudo asks you for the password of the current account you are logged into. However, sudo can be configured to ask for the root password instead:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sudo#Root_password

Be careful when modifying /etc/sudoers. Before modifying it, create a root password so that you can use su in case something goes wrong. (su always asks for the root password and is entirely separate from sudo.)
    No, there is a root password.
    It just so happens that the root account is locked and disabled.
    But, just because it's locked doesn't mean it doesn't have password.
    running sudo passwd root doesn't just create a password, but resets a new password.

Think of it this way though, even if you unlock and enable the original root password, do you know it?

Anyway, logging in as root is for the most part a waste, in Ubuntu.
    It's far easier to sudo -i to grab a root session, then to set a password and reconfigure some files, which may or may not get totally borked from ones own incompetence.
    And you can su into any user on the system, and gain their rights.
    I su from a normal user into an admin user when I want to do an install or something, but don't want to fully switch out to that user.

So there really no need to enable root's password.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful