Thread: Where to install bootloader?

Beans

Where to install bootloader?

Quick question, where would you guys find the IDEAL place to install the bootloader? I have an SSD and HDD, SSD has Windows with the Win7 bootloader on it and then I will be installed ubuntu linux on the HDD. Should I put the boot loader on the SSD or HDD?

Beans

Re: Where to install bootloader?

I got it already. For everyone, you need to install the GRUB bootloader over the Windows 7 one otherwise you will have two boot loaders conflicting with each other.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by altirisx View Post
    Quick question, where would you guys find the IDEAL place to install the bootloader? I have an SSD and HDD, SSD has Windows with the Win7 bootloader on it and then I will be installed ubuntu linux on the HDD. Should I put the boot loader on the SSD or HDD?
    I got it already. For everyone, you need to install the GRUB bootloader over the Windows 7 one otherwise you will have two boot loaders conflicting with each other.
    If you have installed Ubuntu on HDD then ideally, your Boot-loader must go on HDD. The two bootloaders will NOT conflict.
    If you have windows on SSD and Ubuntu on HDD then just change the HDD boot order priority to make HDD your first boot disk.
    This also ensures that your Windows Boot loader files are not overwritten in the MBR by GRUB on SSD. Which means if you remove Ubuntu and change the boot order in BIOS back to boot SSD first then your Windows will load.
    By installing GRUB on SSD you have damaged your Windows Boot Loader. In case you remove Ubuntu then Windows will NOT boot until you fix your MBR.

But if you have installed Ubuntu too on SSD then what you have done is correct.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

+1 on fantab's comments.

My goal always is reliability first, so I have a system installed on every drive and that system's boot loader in the MBR of that drive. Then each drive can boot without the other drive.

You can easily install your grub2 boot loader to your hard drive from inside your Ubuntu install.
    #reinstall from working (not liveCD/DVD/USB) system - first find Ubuntu drive (example is drive sdb but use your drive not partitions or sda if not sdb):
    sudo fdisk -l
    #if it's "/dev/sdb" then just run:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdb
    #If that returns any errors run:
    sudo grub-install --recheck /dev/sdb
    sudo update-grub
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

The only thing I could add in is that if GRUB is installed after Windows 7 is installed, installing Windows Service Packs can become an issue. There are work-arounds to this, but I really don't remember what they are off the top of my head.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

If you force the installation of Grub to an existing Win7 partition, not only will that NOT work, more importantly, it will create a folder in the Windows system partition with a name that is nearly identical to the folder containing the Win7 boot loader.

As a result, Win7 will then get confused and try to load its boot loader from the wrong folder -- and fail to boot.

Not only will you have to remove the Grub stuff you forced onto Win7, you'll also have to reinstall GRUB -- properly this time.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.