Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem with fresh instalation

Beans

Problem with fresh instalation

Hello guys, I just registered today on this forum because I need some help. I've been running Ubuntu 13.04 for some time here on my desktop, and I got this old computer from my friend and because it's like 10 years old I wanted to instal ubuntu on it so it will run faster than windows for exp. I tryed instaling it like I did on my computer but something went wrong, when I start up the computer it loads up to the desktop but i cant see the top notification bar or the side launcher! I don't know what to do, somehow it can enter thunderbird and mozila trough my keyboard shortcuts but I cant exit them because I cant see the window bar at the top of the window where the exit, minimise and fullscreen buttons are. I think I can't even switch to Windows now... It doesn't boot my CD Please help me guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem with fresh instalation

That 10-year-old machine is probably not powerful enough to run Unit, the default Desktop Environment for Ubuntu. Please give some of your system details. RAM, processor, graphics card, etc.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Try Lubuntu on that computer instead. And you mention that it doesn't boot you CD? Try your CD on your computer first just to make sure it is burned correctly.

Beans

RAM: 994.3MiB
    Processor: Intel Celeron (R) CPU 2.66HGz
    Graphics: Intel 865G x86/MMX/SSE2
    DISK: 38.2GB

Nerdtron, I used that CD to install the OS on the computer, so it booted well when I was instaling it, now something is messed up.. Windows XP CD won't boot ether

EDIT:
    I also got these errors, I don't know if it helps:
    1) ExecutablePath
    /usr/bin/compiz
    package
    compiz-core 1:0.9.9-daily 13.03.29- 0ubuntu1
    2) ExecutablePath
    /usr/bin/nautilus
    package
    nautilus 1:3.6.3-ubuntu13
    crashed with SIGABRT
    Last edited by comi94pfc; June 20th, 2013 at 01:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I would definitely recommend a lighter desktop environment than Unity, which is the standard for Ubuntu. Lubuntu as already recommended by nerdtron will probably be good.

But if you have problems with your CD/DVD drive, you need not download, burn and install another full system. Instead you can install the desktop environment like this

Code:
     sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and select Lubuntu at the log in screen. Later on you can uninstall Unity according to this link

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

unless you want to keep it or keep some parts of it.

Another option is to install from a USB pendrive. See for example this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    I would definitely recommend a lighter desktop environment than Unity, which is the standard for Ubuntu. Lubuntu as already recommended by nerdtron will probably be good.

But if you have problems with your CD/DVD drive, you need not download, burn and install another full system. Instead you can install the desktop environment like this

Code:
     sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    and select Lubuntu at the log in screen. Later on you can uninstall Unity according to this link

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

unless you want to keep it or keep some parts of it.

Another option is to install from a USB pendrive. See for example this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    I've just installed lubuntu from terminal like you said, and nothing changed exept for the welcome screen now saying "lubuntu" and being all blue.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you reach the log in screen, where to select user and enter password?

If you still have the Ubuntu log in screen, click on the circular icon near the password window to select session (Lubuntu or Ubuntu). If you have the Lubuntu log in screen, it is more evident, where to select session.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Thanks sudodus, it worked, im now in lubuntu! But when I start the computer I get instant errors so when I skip them it's all working..
    Now I just have a few more questions.. How can I make youtube videos play, I mean I can hear the sound but the video is bugged somehow.. Any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!

Please describe the 'instant' errors you get!

Use Synaptic to activate repositories and install lubuntu-restricted-extras which contain support for multimedia. Maybe you also need to install flashplugin-installer

Beans

Ok, the erors stoped showing up after restarting my computer a few times.. Now only the flash player problems... Look at this, this is how it looks when i try to play a youtube video:
    P.S. Please don't mind the video, it's the first thing that came up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast