Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My wife is driving me nuts. Help me!

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

My wife is driving me nuts. Help me!

My wife likes to spend our money (my paycheck), in part on lottery tickets. In Canada we have two major lotteries, 6/49 and lotto 7. I am going by memory, from when I figured the odds to winning a long time ago, to be roughly as follows:

6/49 = 1/12,800,040

Lotto 7 = 1/60,000,040 (I don't remember this one as well, and could be significantly off, but it doesn't matter to my question).

Notice that I attached a 40 to the end of both of the odds.

My wife will spend up to $40.00 per lottery, thinking it significantly increases the odds of winning.

Question:

How can I make her understand that 1/12,800,000 odds of winning, instead of 1/12,800,040 odds or

1/60,000,000 odds of winning, instead of 1/60,000,040 odds

does not warrant spending $40.00, instead of just $1.00 each time?

Thanks.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: My wife is driving me nuts. Help me!

You can't.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Actually, the odds of winning are always the same, for each ticket.

In your example, 1/12,800,040 for each ticket. You just take multiple chances. Playing more than one ticket does not increase your odds.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post

In your example, 1/12,800,040 for each ticket. You just take multiple chances. Playing more than one ticket does not increase your odds.
    Actually, each ticket bought, lessons the odds to winning by one.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mikodo View Post
    Actually, each ticket bought, lessons the odds to winning by one.
    At the time you buy it, yes. At the time of the draw, each ticket has the same odds.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At the time you buy it, yes. At the time of the draw, each ticket has the same odds.
    No,... that is not true in most lottery games that pick 6 numbers from a pool.

Yes, if it is a set of tickets and one winner is chosen from the potential pool.

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Umm...

actually, buying more tickets -- assuming they are unique and not duplicates does increase your chances of winning.

if you have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance with one ticket you would have a 2 in 1,000,000 chance with 2... etc...

so in the case of 40 tickets the OP is discussing the odds would be 40 in 12,800,00.

So with 1 ticket you have a .0000078 % chance of wining, but with 40 tickets you have a .0003125% chance of winning.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Umm...

actually, buying more tickets -- assuming they are unique and not duplicates does increase your chances of winning.

if you have a 1 in 1,000,000 chance with one ticket you would have a 2 in 1,000,000 chance with 2... etc...
    Perhaps the rules of the lottery should be explained so that we are all talking about the same thing and my comments are accurate. In the case of Canada's Lotto 649, you get to choose 6 numbers out of 1-49. To win the grand prize, you must get all 6 numbers correct. There are smaller prizes for other combinations (i.e. 5 numbers, 4 numbers, etc. with the odds of winning adjusted accordingly). There are no guaranteed winners and the same set of numbers can potentially be choosen by multiple entrants (in which case the prize money is split equally).

In this case, I disagree. Each ticket has the same odds. You are mearly playing the game twice. Your odds that any one ticket is the winning ticket are exactly the same. Having two tickets does not change the odds for any of the tickets.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Umm...

so in the case of 40 tickets the OP is discussing the odds would be 40 in 12,800,00.

So with 1 ticket you have a .0000078 % chance of wining, but with 40 tickets you have a .0003125% chance of winning.
    I had figured it wrong and when you put in on paper, I see my error.

1. I should have mentioned in the OP, that each set of numbers she plays are different when she plays. I thought that would be obvious, but maybe not.

2. You missed a 0 in your copying of my 12,800,000, so the figures are:

3. With 1 ticket you have a .000000078 % chance of winning, which of course is a 1 in 12,800,000 odds to win.

4. With 40 tickets you have a .000003125% chance of winning, which by the way comes to a 1 in 320,000 odds to win, as Copper Bezel said in post # 13.

Thanks, for the math lesson and advice everyone.

Last edited by mikodo; June 21st, 2013 at 08:00 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Uh good luck?

Also, what leclerc65 said. You can try to explain the probability, but in general, people who play the lotto play it to win, even when the odds are stacked against them.

I think part of it is the mentality of "I'll win this time" even when they don't win.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast