Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAMP for Wordpress safe on home computer?

Beans

LAMP for Wordpress safe on home computer?

I would like to learn Wordpress for building websites. LAMP installs Apache, Mysql and php servers. Is this safe to use from a home computer? I won't be hosting websites at home, only building them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: LAMP for Wordpress safe on home computer?

If your home router is like most people's it will not forward connections to your desktop unless you specifically configure it to do so.

If you are really worried, you can use UFW or GUFW to block incomming connnections to ports 80 and 443 (http and https) from everywhere except the localhost. That works then only if you are sitting at the same machine that the LAMP stack is installed on.

The short answer is, yes, it's probably safe enough.

Beans

If you worry then install a virtualbox with a LAMP system inside.
    Being a target means being on the internet. End of line.
    Takedown blog (hungarian)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by sh4d0w808 View Post
    If you worry then install a virtualbox with a LAMP system inside.
    That won't make it any more secure. It just makes it easier to clean up. For learning it might be better to take advantage of VM snapshots. But for security, there's no advantage. In fact there is an extra layer in which things might go wrong and be exploitable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    That won't make it any more secure. It just makes it easier to clean up. For learning it might be better to take advantage of VM snapshots. But for security, there's no advantage. In fact there is an extra layer in which things might go wrong and be exploitable.
    Don't agree. If you set up your VM to communicate only with your host OS, then you cannot get attack from there, so the LAMP is secure and not lowering your host system's security (except vulnerabilities in VB of course).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

That's still about the same as restricting access to localhost for non-VM'd services. That kind of access control is something you have to learn any way. VMs do add another layer where something can break or otherwise go wrong. They also add a fair amount of processing and memory overhead, so system resources are just going to waste there. Though on the plus side you have snapshots which make random messing around much safer and more convenient. So from a learning perspective VMs are ok, but for security virtualization is nothing noteworthy.

Beans

That's still about the same as restricting access to localhost for non-VM'd services. That kind of access control is something you have to learn any way. VMs do add another layer where something can break or otherwise go wrong. They also add a fair amount of processing and memory overhead, so system resources are just going to waste there. Though on the plus side you have snapshots which make random messing around much safer and more convenient. So from a learning perspective VMs are ok, but for security virtualization is nothing noteworthy.
    Thanks for the link, I will check that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Good link. I run VMs when I am testing stuff and as more of a separation of services type thing if I am running a publicly accessible service. It won't be any more secure than a physical box, which is why it helps to learn about security services and (especially) web applications instead of leaving it as a free-for-all on the VM and just wiping it when it gets owned.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Thanks for all the replies! The Wordpress installation walkthroughs I found all set it up with localhost. I can't block all incoming connections to 80 and 443 because then I'd block all web browsing so I guess I will rely on the router to filter connections. This computer is 5 years old, I don't know how well it will run visualization.

If I set Wordpress to localhost, would it be useful still to follow guides to secure apache, mysql and php?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

incomming vs outgoing

Your browsing connects to port 80 and 443 on the remote server, not your machine. On your own machine some high port will be outgoing. Surf a little and then check with netstat. It's a little more readable if you widen the terminal window a little first.

Code:
    netstat -ntp | less
    So you can safely block 80 and 443 incoming.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast