Thread: Thunderbird Portable - Crash with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thunderbird Portable - Crash with Wine

Dear Forum,

there's a problem with Wine concerning Thunderbird Portable, the standalone version of Mozilla Thunderbird. As probably experienced by many other users, a few seconds after the opening of Thunderbird this suddenly closes, and a Wine error message appears.

Moreover, is known that from the version 9.0 of Thunderbird, it's compatibility with Wine is sadly classified as "garbage" (see the App page on Wine AppDB dedicated to Thunderbird Portable).

This situation has been going on for months (more than a year, in truth), and prevents me from using Ubuntu itself, because an important part of the time I spend in front of the computer is usually dedicated just to the management of my e-mails and contacts.

Does anyone knows more about how to solve this problem?

Are there any other applications able to substitute for Wine, doing its same work?

Really thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Thunderbird Portable - Crash with Wine

Why do you not use Thunderbird natively?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Hello!

Could you post the text of the error, please?

Thanks.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michele.bartolettistella View Post
    Moreover, is known that from the version 9.0 of Thunderbird, it's compatibility with Wine is sadly classified as "garbage" (see the App page on Wine AppDB dedicated to Thunderbird Portable).
    That isn't what the page says, Thunderbird version 9 is rated garbage, current version is 17.0.6

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some time has passed, but fortunately I solved the problem, and now I can post a positive reply, here.

Yes, through the upgraded version of Wine, my Thunderbird Portable seems to work correctly, now, in every of its features.

Thank you!