Thread: Install Disconnected Printer

Install Disconnected Printer

Okay, I'm in a pickle. I need to install an HP Designjet 800ps plotter to my laptop. Common sense would say plug it into the USB port and then install the drivers except this is not a networked printer and I don't have access to the internet anywhere remotly close to the printer. So I need to have everything installed prior to connecting to the printer. I'm running Xubuntu 12.04LTS 32bit. HELP! The HP website only has binaries for upgrading the firmware from Unix. So they are useless.
    BTW, this plotter has been sitting in a corner for years, I got the print heads cleaned up, got it to print beautiful test pages, then discovered HP doesn't support Windows 7 drivers on this thing and all the work computers run Win7. Apparently that's why they quit using it. The alternative is to find somebody with a Windows Vista laptop, but I'd rather prove Linux is superior.

Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Install Disconnected Printer

Getting slightly ahead of proceedings but when you find the drivers & other software you're looking for, this may help with installation:

Good luck.

Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Install Disconnected Printer

I don't think you are going to be able to get it working.

The HP website lists it as unsupoorted and doesn't provide any Linux drivers for it.