Thread: Bonobo extreme extremely expensive

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Bonobo extreme extremely expensive

Am I imagining things? I remember checking the catelogue a few months ago the Bonobo was around $1300(don't remember exactly, but around there) and now it says $1839 with a crossed out original price of $2039??(I am pretty sure that the crossed out price was less than $1500 a few months ago)

Has it swithced to some new hardware or inflation has gone crazy where the parts came from in the last few months, or do I need to see a doctor to check my memory?
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 17th, 2013 at 11:53 PM.

Beans

Re: Bonobo extreme extremely expensive

I think I remember that $1300 price as well. I don't recall what the specs were, but neither can I find anything about them updating the Bonobo recently.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Looks like they ran out of Nvidia 670s and are now installing 680s by default. That would definitely account for a big price spike.
    "The Linux philosophy is laugh in the face of danger. Oops. Wrong one. Do it yourself. That's it." --Linus Torvalds

Beans

Ouch. That's a big increase. Makes me glad I got my 670 version while the getting was good. In any event I can't imagine that the extra money spent on the 680 is actually worth it for most people. The 670 is extremely performant in both Linux and Windows and has managed to easily handle everything I've thrown at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's a bit more future proof (i.e., you'll be able to play the latest AAA gaming titles for longer than if you have a 670).
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Well I paid a very substantial $2,563.68. I paid this for a laptop that suits gaming for my son (wedded to windows but hopefully when steam gets going......) comes with Linux installed with gaming apability and carries good support for Linux.
    I have a rock steady laptop that has not disappointed. Meets all gaming requirements currently & runs Linux and current Linux games nicely.
    I should also comment I have received excellent support from system76.
    Overall very positive but couple of small negatives:
    The laptop bag that comes with Extreme is not really large enough and screen has dead pixel and is going to be replaced by System 76 under warranty.

I have only had one other high spec laptop and that was a Sony Vaio which was more expensive and had severe issues and the support from Sony was woeful.

Overall laptop has met my expectations and I am very pleased.
    Paul Langdon
    Ubuntu 13.04 & 12.04LTS
    On Bonobo Extreme (System 76)
    & Home Built PC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you compare it against the an equivalent class of system like a HP EliteBook 8770w Mobile Workstation you will find that an equivalently configured Bonobo is less expensive and has more expandability.