Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Steam Performance -- AMD Drivers -- Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: AMD Drivers -- In use, or not?

As for TF2, I'm not sure what sort of hardware acceleration it may require. The ATi driver doesn't have as much to offer as NVIDIA, but there is some available.
    I run Garry's Mod natively with Radeon drivers on my HD5770 and it runs pretty well. Highest settings @ 1280x1024
    Also ran it through Wine with the highest settings

Performance isn't as high as it is under Windows but it's quite do-able.

Why not give the Radeon drivers a shot as well? Just make sure you get the ATI power profile extension if you're using Gnome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Alright guys, it looks like I was able to completely get this situated, and boy, am I a HAPPY camper!

I'm assuming the Source Engine just absolutely did not like the "updates" drivers that I had selected because I went back to the additional drivers tool, selected the "experimental" and installed it. When I restarted, I was able to launch all my games again and they are actually playing with the graphics completely maxed and running perfect, without a flaw. Actually running better than my Windows 8 install! I just wish I would of known that hardware acceleration was installed separately from drivers.

I am so super excited right now to be using an AMD driver, doing minimal work, and being able to play my Steam games on Ubuntu even better than my Windows install. My gosh. Thank you everyone!

For anyone in the future, all that was needed to be done here was:

• Purging leftovers and yuckies from previous driver installations for safety.
    • Using the additional drivers tool to select the AMD experimental driver.
    • Installing the hardware acceleration via steps provided on the Wiki.

Please consider this thread and issue completely solved.
    Last edited by Gnawnsense; June 18th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    Please consider this thread and issue completely solved.
    Please mark the thread as solved. Take a look at my signature on How To..

Also it would be better to change the title of this thread in something like.. "Steam performance - AMD driver - Ubuntu 12.04"

Glad you solved it, my next suggestion would be exactly this.. to purge everything and install the experimental driver from a terminal.

Regards
    NikTh
    Last edited by NikTh; June 18th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123