Thread: network manager problem

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

network manager problem

How do I fix this?

unmanaged.png

My computer is connected via DHCP. But when I need to do a side project which required me to add a virtual interface eth0:0 and ip address to my system I edited the /etc/network/interfaces file.
    Code:
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

#iface eth0:0 inet static
    #       address 10.1.0.10
    #       netmask 255.255.255.0
    #       network 10.1.0.0
    After my project, I commented the settings i have added. But now i noticed that the network icon on my taskbar is broken. It shows connection not managed. Still, though my network connection is fine. ifconfig shows I have obtained an IP address from the network.
    Last edited by nerdtron; June 20th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Beans

Re: network manager problem

If you want network manager to take back full control, you'll need to comment out the 'auto eth0 \ iface eth0 inet static' part as well (leaving just the 'lo' loopback definition) - network manager has its own config files and by default it ignores (considers 'unmanaged') any interfaces in /etc/network/interfaces. You can force n-m to 'manage' the ifupdown interfaces, using a setting in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf but it isn't recommended in most situations.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: network manager problem

All right. I'll give it a try.

--UPDATE--

Thanks a lot. Then I just rebooted and enable/disable networking on the GUI network manager and its back to normal now.
    Last edited by nerdtron; June 20th, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: SOLVED