Thread: shared ntfs partition help

Beans

shared ntfs partition help

so i am dual booting ubuntu and windows 8 and have a shared ntfs partition. i have noticed that some files get deleted when i switch os's. i dont have hibernation nor do i have sleep enabled in my windows 8 so i dont think that is the problem.

what can i do to fix this? the files i have are pictures, music, etc. and are very important to me for them to just get deleted

Beans

Re: shared ntfs partition help

Windows 8 default shutdown is in fact half-hibernation. You wil notice that interval between shutdown and booting of Windows 8 is fast. That is why when you shut down Windows 8 normally, it half hibernate. When you boot into Ubuntu, do some stuff, edit some documents, then boot again into Windows 8, Windows 8 will resume from its half-hibernation and restore the shared partition to its previous state. You can read this thread for more information.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1953674

Beans

ive actually read that whole thread, everything mentioned there is un checked in windows from my end, so why is it still deleting data? how do i get it to fully shut down rather than half hibernation?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

There's a lot of off-topic background noise in that thread but the information you want is in the link in post #20. You need to disable fast startup.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thats interesting about Windows 8 coffeecat i didnt know that.
    Here's the direct link to Post #20
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12251891

Beans

yea thats unchecked, as i said before everything in that thread ive done and it still does that! any other ideas?

Beans

i have noticed that some files get deleted when i switch os's.
    "some" may be the key here. How are you mounting the ntfs partition? Through nautilus?

Do the files that are saved in Linux have any of the following characters in in their name: " * / : < > ? \ |

If they do then when you return to Windows they are ignored since Windows can't read them. If this is the case then there's a way to fix this by adding a correct line to fstab. We need some information though so please post the output of the following commands:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    sudo blkid -c /dev/null
    mount
    Last edited by Morbius1; June 18th, 2013 at 04:55 PM.

Beans

no, i rename my downloaded movies and stuff like that to have them all in order

Beans

Howdy,

Dual booting is rather last century.

The best solution is to not dual boot, but rather install Virtualbox on Linux and make a Windows VM. That way, Windows can run in a window and you can use Windows and Linux applications concurrently.