Thread: gpg help

Beans

Post gpg help

I have(GnuPG) 1.4.10 and when I enter gpg from command line the screen displays
    gpg: Go ahead and type your message ...
    I can input text but I do not know how to terminate the keyboard input and save the the text in a file. The only way I can get out of the text input mode is to type a Ctrl C. Then the screen shows the command line. I have studied help files and info files for "gpg" and can find no help. Does anyone know how to save and exit out of "gpg" when entered with no argument or file given just (gpg) and nothing else. Please help if anyone knows about this.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: gpg help

Check the man page for specifics. You need the --encrypt command and the --output option. So, the command will be something like 'gpg --encrypt --output encrypted-file'. It will ask you for the recipient's id to look up the public key, then will accept input from the keyboard. If finally entering a blank line does not end the program, use Ctl-D which means end-of-file. The encrypted file will then be in the file 'encrypted-file'. Added: The problem with using just the 'gpg' command is that it doesn't really know what to do or who to encrypt the input for. I don't know why the program acts as it does.
    Last edited by agillator; June 17th, 2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Add further explanation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

ctrl-d

When you are editing text as input you can use ctrl-d on a blank line to exit. It works in many other situations, too. Just be careful not to do it twice in a row, becaue the first one will exit from gpg and the second one will exit from bash.

Beans
    Hidden!

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

Look at this link, I think it will answer some of your questions

how to encrypt message (not file) in terminal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Not a tutorial.

Thread moved to General Help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.