Thread: been trying to use ubuntu for a few years

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: been trying to use ubuntu for a few years

Quote Originally Posted by billcecil View Post
    I suppose you were trying to help.
    there is nothing to help with. there is no request for help, no question, no data provided.: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1422475

in fact this thread doesn't belong in absolute beginers section.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Hidden!

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

I think this is why some of us hang on to a dual boot; in case we run into problems we can't solve for ourselves.
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans

Anyhoo, the easiest Linux by far is Puppy, mentioned above. Give it a try. It is a very light and blazingly fast little Linux.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    I think this is why some of us hang on to a dual boot; in case we run into problems we can't solve for ourselves.
    If you can make a dual boot you should be able to solve most problems with a little help from the forum.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    Anyhoo, the easiest Linux by far is Puppy, mentioned above. Give it a try. It is a very light and blazingly fast little Linux.
    How does being light and blazingly fast have anything to do with ease of use? A system without GUI would be light and blazingly fast but it wouldn't be very easy to use.

For people who use their computers for day to day tasks, diffiulties may arise in installation, having to get hardware to work and getting the software they need.

On all counts I think Ubuntu is probably the easist (except for Mint which includes the codecs by default) On the other hand, installation is not so easy for Arch and sometimes it may be hard to get hardware working with Debian without some tweaks or installing extra components etc and those contribute to difficulties.

But once you have the system set up and running all distros are pretty much the same (assumming you don't need to trouble shoot and do fancy, 'power user' stuffs) OP complains about having to use command lines, well the commands are the same in all distros (withs small variations like yum instead of apt-get and so on) and since most distros come with GUI and they are all pretty feature completed so chances are you won't even have to use the command line for day to day operations if you have a modern DE.

Overall, you can't get a lot easier out of the box experience than Ubuntu (excpet Mint, with one rather trivial tweak, as noted).Puppy runs on very low spec hardware, but it has nothing to do with ease of use.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; June 17th, 2013 at 06:46 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    How does being light and blazingly fast have anything to do with ease of use? A system without GUI would be light and blazingly fast but it wouldn't be very easy to use.

For people who use their computers for day to day tasks, diffiulties may arise in installation, having to get hardware to work and getting the software they need.

On all counts I think Ubuntu is probably the easist (except for Mint which includes the codecs by default) On the other hand, installation is not so easy for Arch and sometimes it may be hard to get hardware working with Debian without some tweaks or installing extra components etc and those contribute to difficulties.

But once you have the system set up and running all distros are pretty much the same (assumming you don't need to trouble shoot and do fancy, 'power user' stuffs) OP complains about having to use command lines, well the commands are the same in all distros (withs small variations like yum instead of apt-get and so on) and since most distros come with GUI and they are all pretty feature completed so chances are you won't even have to use the command line for day to day operations if you have a modern DE.

Overall, you can't get a lot easier out of the box experience than Ubuntu (excpet Mint, with one rather trivial tweak, as noted).Puppy runs on very low spec hardware, but it has nothing to do with ease of use.
    I haven't tried Puppy Linux, but I'd like to point out that Herman didn't say or imply that Puppy Linux is the easiest because it is light or fast, just that is the easiest and is also light and fast.

Beans

Well its well klnown that printers in linux are a bit of a pain to set up.
    Its not really the fault of linux though as most companies dont even know what linux is.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I don't know if Puppy is really the easiest. If "Easy == Very similar to Windows" then I guess it's easy. However, for me, Windows is hard and Ubuntu is easy. And classic Mac OS is the easiest of the lot, and Mac OS X is harder even than Windows.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    Well its well klnown that printers in linux are a bit of a pain to set up.
    Its not really the fault of linux though as most companies dont even know what linux is.
    This is what I was doing. Trying for the last time to get a printer to work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast